1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

high school girl looking for career advice

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by redhairedfury, Nov 9, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. redhairedfury

redhairedfury Thread Starter

I am in class where we had to do a job shadow and career paper. I did mine on a computer programmer, and got to shadow a programmer at Intel. The programming itself is great; I can see myself doing that.
    My problem is, I do not want to live in a cube farm. Unfortunately, most computer jobs are. Should I avoid the tech industry completely, and leave it as a hobby, or are there other options?
    The cubicles scare me.

2. wacor

wacor Banned

If you like computers how about being one who does repairs and what not at the customers business or residence. Each one presents a different challenge so you would not be stuck in a rut.

3. Bastiat

Bastiat

Learn the business then go out on your own. You can write code while sitting on the beach watching the waves roll in.

4. redhairedfury

@ Bastiat
    I was thinking of that. I really don't need to decide everything now. I can do some lower work, build up my skills, than escape.
    Anyone else like to input?

5. wacor

wacor Banned

makes sense

if one ignored the obvious.

one assumes you would have the qualifications before trying to get a job if you are interesting in that type of work.

6. Bastiat

Bastiat

Well, if that doesn't work out, he/she can always become a lawyer. ;)

7. wacor

wacor Banned

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D

How is it going anyway??

Thought you might be coming this direction??

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi redhairedfury,

Welcome to TSG!

Ok, so you've had your first taste of something you think you might like to do and have some reservations. The important thing for you to do now while you are in high school is to explore and find out what you are talented in doing and not less important what you are passionate about doing.

Find out what you would love to do more than anything else and then do it.

Are you a problem solver? Good in music or math and science? Then maybe being a code jockey might be a fit. What makes you think you have to live in a cube farm - that appears to be a mental limitation you have acquired due to your limited exposure. You may need more exposure. Explore computer science which feeds into software engineering, software architecture, etc. if you like building complex abstract things. The important thing is to not limit yourself once you have discovered one thing you can see yourself doing from precluding what else you can do - there may be other things you could easily do that you would be just as competent doing - and you may enjoy them much more for what they provide. No limits - no fear! Go for it!

The most important lesson I learned in my last year of my first college degreee was - don't let the opinions of others influence you by precluding you from making up your own mind independently. Once I made that observation then I went on a tear and found my forte - after that, there wasn't anything I felt I couldn't handle!

It's called the "process of finding yourself" and it takes a lifetime, so, the earlier you start the sooner you can get on with it!

Good luck, and let us know from time to time what you've discovered.

-- Tom

9. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

A cliche, "Life is a journey, not a destination", fits perfectly here. You have an advantage already, you know what you don't want to do. Many people don't figure that out until they're already stuck. If you truly like programming, then pursue it's study, and then figure out how to be where you want to be. Who knows, you may end up a chef.:eek:

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

One thing that schools never seem to teach that is necessary in life is to learn to think "critically", i.e. as in learn to exercise "critcal thinking" in your decision making process about just about anything. It will take you farther than the missing "Operator's Instruction Manual for the Brain" that was never delivered when we were all born, leaving us all pretty much up to the whims of trial-and-error in sorting out our lives and finding "our" way.

Here is a link to get you started - look at the Critical Thinking links in the left-hand panel paying particular attention to Logical Fallacies, and, of course, read the article on that webpage entitled: How do you prove photography to a blind man? It is quite instructive about the area of "creative thinking". Search out the topic of "lateral thinking" as well - solutions are never straighforward in the real world - its like tacking a sailboat to get to the destination. One can never have enough tools in the ol' mind box!

Oh, and don't forget to stop and smell the roses, enjoy the journey and all that!

-- Tom :)

11. redhairedfury

Thanks everyone. I might post an update in a few months or so. But maybe not. As you all said, not everything is like that.
    I know I'm going to get a degree in Computer Science at OSU. From there, I don't really know. And you know what? I don't need to know.

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Office space where I work (about 1000-1200 employees) is generally assigned according to pay grade and job title. If you are a "professional" you get 56-64 square feet (usually a cubicle, or share an office with real walls with another person). "Senior professional" gets you 100-120 square feet, which is usually an office with a door that closes and real walls. A Director or V.P. gets 150-200 square feet, an outside window, and expensive furniture.

I notice where I work they make some exceptions. If you are a programmer who has a regular desktop computer and two Sun workstations... all that crap won't fit in a cubicle, so you get an office.

13. dannyn

dannyn

whats a sun workstation do?

14. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It is a desktop computer made by Sun Microsystems. There are almost as many variations of them as there are PCs, however most that we have are based on the 64-bit UltraSparc processor and run the Sun Solaris operating system which is a variant of UNIX.

15. dannyn

dannyn

oo ok thanks!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice