1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High speed internet not so high speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by professorxox, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. professorxox

professorxox Thread Starter

I have wireless internet through my cable provider. My signal strenght varies from 5 to 48 mbps on most days. Why isn't the signal consistent and what causes my internet to get so slow. Is there anything I can do...call my cable provider?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "call my cable provider?"

No. You are mixing up some terms, but it doesn't sound like this is an ISP problem.

For now I'm going to assume that you have cable internet service and a wireless router. If not, please describe. If so, please post the brand and model of your modem and router (or modem/router combo).

Wireless signal strength is usually given in terms of "n bars out of 5" or "good," "excellent," etc. What is yours, and does it vary? How close is the PC to the router, and what obstructions are in the way?

When your bandwidth varies from 5 to 48mbps it could be an adapter or driver or router problem, but more likely is wireless interference. Are there other wireless networks on your same (or close) channel?

Some people first just try changing channels (in North America the non interfering channels are 1, 6 and 11) without trouble shooting to see if that helps.

If you are having difficulty determining the channels of the networks you detect use NetStumbler for help: www.netstumbler.com

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice