1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High Speed Internet Solutions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tomtheman70, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tomtheman70

Tomtheman70 Thread Starter

I'm looking for a way to get the fastest DSL I can out to my location in the east bay (Pleasanton, CA)

I've been shopping around and it seems thats yahoo/at&t/sbc (Whatever they call themselves now) is the only provider and they can get me a max of 6Mbps, meaning I'll get about 2-3 actual Mbps (They haven't ever filled our quota on bandwidth, seeing as how we have the 3Mbps package right now)

Our house isn't wired for cable so we can't get anything fast like comcast or roadrunner..

I'm hoping someone knows of a company that will be able to get me faster internet because everyone I talk to now days is downloading stuff at 3Megs a second and it just makes me mad that I pay $50 a month for something thats 1/4 of their speed.

Thanks a lot, your input is greatly appriciated.

-Tom Reinke

2. Sponsor

3. Empire2500

Empire2500

I think this thread should be moved to another section.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I moved this to networking. You will probably get more of a response.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

DSL is DSL, and it's the quality of the local loop that defines the performance you get. No matter what company you go with, the trip from the Telco CO to your house will be on the same pair of wires, using the same DSL transmitter/receiver hardware. I'd pick the cheapest service, since that's also going to have the same performance. If you look at the service closely, they say "up to 6mbit", they don't promise any specific level of service. There is no free lunch.

Some of are lucky, I currently have my old 6mbit Comcast account until I cancel it, and I now have the Verizon FiOS at 15mb/2mb. Is there any chance that fiber is coming near you?

6. Tomtheman70

Tomtheman70 Thread Starter

I have no idea if there is going to be fiber put in our area anytime soon, is there someone I can call to ask?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can go to the Verizon site and enter your phone number, they will tell you if it's available. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505543