1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High Speed USB port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lynchpin, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynchpin

lynchpin Thread Starter

I bought a 320 gb external hard drive for my wifes 4 year old Dell dimension 8200. It came with an 80 gb hard drive. I installed a 160 gb internal hard drive a couple of years ago. The motherboard would only recognize 120 GB. My wife downloads and shares movies so she need the new external drive. When I activate the external drive it tells me my Dell does not have a high speed USP port. Any opinions on how to update her computer would be appreciate. One other question; her computer came with 256 mg
    PC800 RDRAM. I also need to add more ram. Is there a limit to how much additional RAM I can install? Thanks for any help.

2. lynchpin

lynchpin Thread Starter

Since posting I was able to discover this computer has a limit of 2Gb Rambus.

3. Moby

Moby

Assuming that your computer/motherboard has spare PCI slots inside, upgrading or adding USB 2 ports would just be a matter of adding a USB2 pci card. They are cheap and in WinXP you should just be able to plug the card in, start the computer up and the card will be recognised. You can get the cards with different numbers of ports. Pic of one below.
    I've never had a dell but I hear that they sometimes use non standard bits in their computers, so you would just need to check that motherboard/PCI card layout is standard. Or maybe someone else can confirm that it is.

Attached Files:

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would definitely upgrade the ram to at least 512....sounds like you need to upgrade to SP2 also in order to have the 160 recognized though there could be a buos update as well for that as that pc is getting up in years and probably cannot recognize usb 2.0, so the idea of pci card again is also the best. Back to Sp2, have you done all Windows Updates from the start menu?
    Or is this even Windows XP?

5. catlady13

catlady13

Don't forget with rambus ram you need to put it in in matched pairs.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yep great reminder!!!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A standard PCI USB 2.0 card will do the trick. Personally, I recommend you stick with cards with the NEC chipset, they've always been 100% for me.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice