1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

High temps with Core 2 duo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AndyTDI, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndyTDI

AndyTDI Thread Starter

Hi All

I have just built a new pc with the following spec.

Asus P5B Motherboard
    E6420 Core2Duo 2.13 (Stock HSAF)
    2x512 Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC5300
    Saphire x1650pro Ultimate
    samsung 80gig SATA II HDD
    2x120mm case fans 1 front 1 Back
    Edit : Forgot to say I used A/S 5 on the HSAF not the standard pads. I have checked and re seated this.Edit

There is no overclock at the moment so all is at stock. If I run a test with TAT and have speed fan running also after a couple of mins the temps are as follows.

Speedfan v4.32

System 42C
    CPU: 62C
    AUX: 122C What the heck is this measuring !!
    HD0: 41C
    Core 0: 47C
    Core 1: 47C

These temps are about the same in Asus Probe II and with the Core0 and Core1 in TAT.

I tried a small overclock before only to 280mhz fsb and the CPU temp went to 97C:eek: but that can not be right can it ?

The info I have read says the Core0 and Core1 temps should be higher than the CPU temp Info from here

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core-Duo-Temperature-Guide-ftopict221745.html

Any Ideas what is going on with these temps And what the heck is running at 122C :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

2. cfhpantera

cfhpantera

Did you look in the BIOS to see what that said for temps? Many of these temp monitoring applications report wrong temps on certain boards.

3. Azelino

Azelino

As someone sed above temps are often faulty if it did run at that heat the system would shut down automaticly... check if fan is placed properly ... If none of these are correct go to the shop and get a refund :)

4. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

or have you got the paste between your CPU and HSF?
    i had the exact same problem, just my CPU (intel Pentium D 3.2Ghz 935) was running a normal temp of 70 degrees!!!!

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

From your problem description, I suspect that you have an airgap between the heatsink and the processor heatspreader.

You will need to clean the heatsink and processor with high-purity isopropyl or denatured alcohol and apply new thermal compound.

Here are instructions from the Artic Silver site as to how the thermal compound should be installed. Whether you use Artic Silver or another brand of thermal compound the procedure would be the same.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

When you start to re-install the cooler, set the heatsink on the processor heatspreader and GENTLY turn the cooler assembly left and right a couple of times (Just a couple of degrees each way).. Turn the locking pin assemblies clockwise as far as they will go by hand, and re-align the locking pins with the holes in the motherboard. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked.

After the cooler is re-seated, re-start the machine and check the temperatures.

On the machines I build, I can normally expect a temperature with a C2D processor of approximately 38-42c at idle with the Intel stock cooler and thermal pad in a thermally advantaged case.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yep make sure that the hsf is securely seated on all 4 pins after regreasing cpu.

7. AndyTDI

AndyTDI Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.

I have re seated the HSAF a few times this morning, following the instructions posted did not give me good temps so I removed again and spread a very thin layer totaly evenly over the surface of the cpu then put the heatsink on. This now gives me temps of about 47 60 127 50 52 52

System 47C
    CPU 60C
    AUX 127C
    HDD 50C
    Core 0 52C
    Core 1 52C

This is with an overclock just to test it with TAT. FSB 313x8 2.5gig. At stock speed the temps are about 1 deg C better.

Anyone know what the AUX temp is at 127deg C I presume this is a false reading as I don't think anything should be running at 127C.

Thanks for the info.

Andy

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I suggest that you take the processor back to all the stock settings until you get a better handle on the accuracy of the displayed temperatures. The thermal spec for the E6420 is 60.1c and ThermalTrip occurs at approximately 80c.

What are the temperatures you get from BIOS? What is your vCORE voltage in BIOS?
    What is your BIOS version?

9. AndyTDI

AndyTDI Thread Starter

Hi

All is at stock now.

Temps in the Bios are 46C CPU. 32C system.
    The Vcore is fixed at 1.20v
    The Bios Version is 1501 dated 26/06/2007

at the moment using the Asus probe II just sat on the internet I have a CPU temp of 42C the Motherboard temp of 31C all the fans are at full speed CPU and two 120mm.

I have attached a screen grab with TAT running so you can see the temps. Its the AUX one that bothers me.

Another thing is as I am typing this I can see one or two horizontal lines flashing across the screen every 5 to 10 seconds ???

Any further info.

Thanks

Andy

Attached Files:

10. WarZard

WarZard

Its actually not that bad, if you know how to tell TM1 and TM2 apart ;)

System 47C
    CPU 60C
    AUX 127C
    HDD 50C
    Core 0 52C
    Core 1 52C

CPU is the sensor on the die, the TM1 sensor, while Core 0 and 1 is the TM2 sensors, or DTS as they are named in TAT. TM2 temps are more accurate, and have a slowdown treshold of 75C, and your CPU's TM2 is nowhere near that, so you're completely fine. If TM2 ever comes close to 70, then you worry, but not now.

TM2 temps usually differ from TM1 temps in about 15 degrees C, so if TM2 temps are showing say 65C, chances are, that TM1 could be showing 50-ish degrees, depending on setup.

Also, this is quite obvious, but just a reminder:

TM1 temps of 60C does not automatically mean very high TM2 temps! Check TM2 temps before judging your CPU's state, as they are more accurate when you think you're on thin ice.

As I said: You're fine, until TM2 hits 70C or more.

'War

EDIT:

Also, judging by your CPU and Core readings, you should try CoreTemp, which also reads TM2 temps, and see if you get different readings. I smell bogus readings, since Core is actually lower than CPU, which makes no sense whatsoever.

11. AndyTDI

AndyTDI Thread Starter

This has been puzzling me also but Asus probe and Speedfan read the CPU temp higher than the Core0 and core 1 temps Eg at the moment

Asus Probe II
    CPU 41c

Speed fan
    CPU 41c

Core0 31
    Coer1 32

Core Temp0.95
    Core0 30c
    Core1 31c

I.TAT
    Core0 32
    Core1 32

I thought the Core0/1 temps should be higher than the CPU temp:confused:

Any Ideas

12. WarZard

WarZard

I thought the Core0/1 temps should be higher than the CPU temp

They should. I've seen quite a few cases like these, I don't know why it does this but the simple resolution is; Treat CPU as if it was Core and Core as if it was CPU, the readings are simply reversed. As for AUX, don't worry about that, it shows like that on a lot of setups since its trying to read from a sensor which isn't there.

13. AndyTDI

AndyTDI Thread Starter

That seems to be what it is doing but it's a bit strange for 4 differant apps and the bios to all be getting it wrong.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Andy

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice