1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

high usage at startup and starting programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rain_pchonduras, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rain_pchonduras

rain_pchonduras Thread Starter

Hi,
    Ok, this is my problem:
    Whenever I startup, the computer usage runs way up to 80-100% and it takes forever to start a program. It immidiately starts this whenever I just turn the computer on, and I hear it because the sound that Windows makes at startup gets scratchy and stutters.
    Once it has started up, if I click on iTunes (for example), once the program pops up and I click on Play, every song stutters. It stutters only at the beginning and then it smooths out, but it does it for every single song played.
    When I put in a DVD it stutters but it stutters throughout the movie.
    It just started doing this randomly. It never did it before. The only thing that is new is that I played an old movie file that must have been corrupted or something because the file wouldnt play and I tried to copy the file (from an external hard-drive) and paste it onto the desktop to get it to play. It did eventually play it, but it took a long time for it to load and play.
    I tried looking for answers at the microsoft website and the problems they showed that looked similar seemed to suggest that it could be solved by downloading all of the latest microsoft uploads. So I have been doing that for the past 24 hours and it is my first line of solutions. I just wanted to ask here as well in case that doesnt work.
    I dont know if that helps to explain what happened.
    The problem is, that I live in Honduras (I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer) and so I dont have a lot of time to hang out at the internet cafe looking for answers as to how to make my computer stop stuttering. I use my computer for work as well as personal entertainment and if I can figure out how to make it run smoothly again that would be a big help.
    If somebody knows what is wrong, and how to make it stop, please give me directions that I can follow without being connected to the internet.
    My site is 2 hours away from the nearest internet cafe, so I'll probably not be able to get your answer within the next week. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

1. Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE to open the task manager, then click on the "Processes" tab. DO NOT END any of these unless you know what you are doing. If you see 25+ processes running, that's probably too many. Look for the one that uses the most CPU and post back

3. rain_pchonduras

I've got 63 processes running.
    The ones sucking the most energy are:
    CCAPP.EXE
    VzCdbSvc.exe
    svchost.exe is using the most right now
    something called RTHDCPL.EXE is also over 10,000 K
    I'm online so the iexplorer.exe is high as well.
    I didnt start the computer from the startup, I opened it from hibernate because it seems to not be so slow when it starts from that.
    Since I'm looking at the taskbar, I notice that a lot of stuff that I'm not using is still running, like the iTunesHelper.exe. iTunes isnt open right now but its still running 2,716K. And msmsgs.exe is for MSM messenger right? I dont ever use that. And the GoogleToolbar always runs as well, even when I'm not connected to the internet (which is most of the time).
    Does this help?
    I downloaded all of the Microsoft Updates and they didnt solve the problem.
    Any advice?
    Thank you for responding!

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Start > Run > type "msconfig" goto the "Startup" tab and uncheck anything you don't need. (Stay away from the "Services" tab, these are mostly system processes that you need to run Windows.) Reboot and see if it runs any faster.

5. rain_pchonduras

I went to the startup tab and looked at what I have. This is the list:
    ALCMTR
    Apoint
    AzMixerSel
    ccApp
    ctfmon
    GrooveMonitor
    hkcmd
    igfxtray
    ISBMgr
    iTuneshelper
    msmsgs
    NvCpl
    PartSeal
    igfxpers
    qttask
    REGSHAVE
    RTHDCPL
    SPMgr
    juschec
    GoogleToolbarNotifier
    TVTLInstTool
    UrlLstCk
    PartSeal
    VAIOUpdt
    AvRmtCtr
    Adobe Reader Spe
    Trend Micro Ant-Spyware

I don’t know what most of these do, so I don’t know which ones I don’t need. I experimented (always a bad idea) and unchecked them all and clicked “ok” and restarted my computer.
    When it came on, it gave me a message saying that it could only start in the Selective Startup and that to have a Normal Startup I needed to fix what I’d just done. So then I went back and tried to uncheck only one or 2 things. I checked in the General tab and it showed that just checking one thing makes it switch over to a Selective Startup.
    I really don’t know what I’m doing and I don’t want to mess things up more than they are. Before I make something permanent, what is it that I’m doing exactly? I don’t know what I want to uncheck. I don’t know what they mean so how can I randomly choose? And if it only makes me start in a selective startup? For me, “normal” sounds good, and “selective” sounds sketchy.
    I guess now my question is, what should I be clicking off from this list, and what should I NOT be clicking off? And why does it make it go to a selective startup, if normal sounds like that’s how things should be? If I don’t want something to turn on at startup, is there a way to erase it off the list so that normal startup can be had? Or does that mean removing that software? If it means removing it, what can I afford to get rid of? And what should I not delete at all?
    I am not going to mess with this until I hear back. Thanks

6. golferbob

golferbob

7. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

The selective startup is normal, actually that is exactly what you want to do. Brave of you to check them all, even though usually it's fine. Since you've already done it once, do it again. This time when you restart, put a check in the box "Do not show this message again or open the configuration utility" and click OK.

As time goes by, you may notice something has changed in addition to your computer running faster. For example, some devices require programs to manage their more ellaborate functions. To enable these functions again, find the program related to this device and re-check it in Microsoft Configuration Utility.

I've never had this problem, but if you do, that's how to fix it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice