1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Higher Learning ????

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by ChrisJ, Feb 3, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

What is a good way to get into computers for a living? Right now I'm going through the CCNA program via my high school, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

Would ITT Tech be a good way?

Tips or anything would be great, I'm open for anything.

Thanks,
    Chris Jackson

2. littlemar

littlemar

Sounds like you've gotten a good start. I really don't know anything about ITT Tech but maybe checking out some intern programs would help too. Good luck.

3. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten

I'd suggest that you find a job situation that will allow you to be exposed to the working with PC's. Your school may even have a work/study opportunity you could take advantage of. Experience is as valued as schooling in this arena.

I have a friend whose son worked part time in the field while going to college. He had lots of job offers upon graduation, including the place he'd been working.

4. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

I am certainly not a expert, but as I was injured in a accident nearly a year ago, I have learned a few things. As part of my settlement process my attorney sent me to a vocational counselor to determine what education I would need to re-enter the job market. Also, nearing 50, she was to determine projected income lost over my normal working life.

The subject of ITT came up as I am interested in computer repair,and/or Graphics design.

The counselor informed me that potential employers ,by a large margin, prefer Community College Graduates over Tech Schools.

Don't know why, just a statistic :).....as for me...2 to 4 yrs of school will be required, however, a person with "My Personality" would do better in a hands on apprentice program. :)

Oh yea...projections are I will lose $180,000 over my working life, or in the next 15 years...a real eyeopener !!!...Rhett

(long answer for a short question huh :D )

5. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

So then going to a Community College over ITT tech would be better? I'm done with high school in June (if all goes well) and I'm just stressing over what I should do and where I should go.

6. jimi

jimi

Chris ITT doesn't have a very good reputation in this part of the country, i'm on the other side of the mountains from you. there are some very good community colleges that won't break the bank and will give you a much more focused path, finding the right path is the trick. good luck, stop stressing, i know easy to say, i remember what it was like. here is a link of some good schools, that are in state, and whatever you do get out of cheney;)

7. Firejay

Firejay

Another area to delve into while making this decision process is to subscribe to some of the trade magazines to give you an idea of what's up and coming in the field and what areas are lacking people with expertise to fill them. It also gets you aquainted with the myriad of areas that are available to you to learn about. And if nothing else, will give you something to put you to sleep on those days when you can't. :D

Even with all my years in this field I'm still learning everyday. I figure that my next educational area is going to be more in depth analysis of computer/network security and computer forensics. Of course this is for two reasons, 1 being in something I personally am interested in, and 2 it's a new area where there isn't enough qualified individuals to cover the vacancies.

8. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

Oh I'll be getting out of Cheney ASAP!!! And I'll be more then happy to move to find a better job.(like Cali) So far I'm hearing a no for ITT. It is very expencive and I don't want to pay $18,000 a year for training that turns out to be crap. I'm into comp repair and networking but I've been thing about getting into some multimedia, is there a good job market for that?
    Thanks for all of you help eveyone!!!

9. smile88

smile88 Guest

Chris,
    The job market is very poor for all computer jobs.
    But all jobs are hard to get, and computers will pay good for you if you have the skill, and the job market picks up again.

If your Dad's rich to go a 4 year school and get a Bachelor's degree.

If not, the technical schools can offer good training, cheap in a short time. Then, when you start working, go to night school to get the BA or BS. The education has to continue all your life.

I've been through a lot of this, and remember how I felt 20 years ago. Feel free to send a personal message if you'd like more imput.

A lot depends on what your local schools offer for classes. Also, they should have graduate reports where students who have graduated list their places of employment, job titles and salaries.
    Guidance counselors will lie to you. I heard one tell a group of new computer students 'The job market is hot'. Well, he's either not honest or very stupid. They will tell you what they think you need to hear to get your money. Talk to people who are doing the work now, and what they recommend for training. Eggplant's advice is good. Just remember not everything you read or hear is accurate, some of that is intentional.

And a good way to find out which schools have the best reputation in your area is to find out where the employers are hiring from, and what the graduates have to say.

10. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

Ol Sarge, how should I go about this? I'm mostly on my own when it comes to these kind of things. My dad is no longer among us and my mom dosen't know what shes's doing.

11. deh

deh

The US Armed Forces

12. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

Armed Forces...
    But I'm a tree hugging hippie!!! I'm so against war and things like that!!!
    I'd rather work my way through school and even have to pay back some loans if need be. The main thing I just wanted to know was whether or not ITT Tech would be a good way to go because it is very costly. If it's not worth the money to go there then I'll just go to EWU or SFCC

13. smile88

smile88 Guest

Chris,
    If your Dad died, and you're under 21, I believe social security benefits, or some type of financial aid should be available to you. I'm not talking about the kind you have to pay back either.

I knew of kids getting out of high school, and if their Dad was dead or over retirement age, the governement gave them good money for school.

14. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

Thanks smile I'll look into that one.:)

15. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Re-edit

edit

Ole Sarge apparently you deleted your post.
    I believe this was in good taste and commend you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice