1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hijack This Check (Can't Update Windows, Check Email or access My Space)

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Luthorcrow, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Thread Starter

The problem start with my wife's PC. It started a few weeks ago she told me. She can't open Outlook Express (doesn't start), access My Space or get updates at Windows Update. Also some images on sites do not load.

I then checked my PC and found, I couldn't access Windows Update, My Space, Thunderbird fails to retrieve emails. I have not noticed any issues with images.

Given this sounded like some of the behaviors I have heard of trojans doing I thought I would post my logs here and see if anyone sees anything out of place. Normally I wouldn't consider a cross contamination but about two weeks I temporarily set up a home network between our PCs to share a few files. The next day I disabled NetBIOS on my PC but as we are both behind a hardware firewall, I guessing if it happened it must have happened then.

Nothing jumps out at me but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wife's PC
    Log for my PC

2. Luthorcrow

I ran SuperAntiSpyware and found nothing but 10 tracker cookies. Running Panda Virus Scanner online. I couldn't run F-Secure because IE7 Active X controls prevent it from running.

Zero clue as to what is going on so far.

3. Luthorcrow

Additional details:

1) When I attempt to go to the Windows Update site or My Space the browser times out and in IE gives the error that it is being blocked (when I click the diagnose button on IE it says my FTP port is blocked which I know can't be right because I used FTP that night).

2) No pop ups. Only signs are can't access email either via Thunderbird on my PC or OE on my wife’s' PC, can't access Windows Update, My Space or on her PC some images are blocked and finally intermittent internet slow downs for no apparent reason.

3) Also ran Java Cools' Spy Blaster and if found nothing but tracker cookies.

I would love to avoid a dual Windows re-install tonight. :)

4. Luthorcrow

Call this one (SOLVED). My D-Link GL-4300 just starting screwing up. Nothing in the config should have done it. But it just was dying I guess. Put my old brick of a Netgear FR114P in and I am sailing full speed ahead after to full clean Windows installs. Well at least I get squeaky clean feeling of a fresh install. Duhh!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice