1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hijack This qs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gram123, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Howdy,
    Having been away from the site for a while, I come back and see everyone seems to be using Hijack This, and many users here and elsewhere post to their tech sites and ask for help checking their HJT logs.

1) So, what exactly is HJT?
    2) Is it any better or worse than similar software (say, using MSINFO32 and checking the list at Pac's Portal) / AdAware / Spybot.
    3) How do you guys actually check the log? Is there some file (simlar to Pac's Portal) that you can check entries against, or do you just have insider knowledge?!
    4) Any other info?

I know where I can get the program, but I'll leave that until I read any comments...

Cheers peeps

Gram

2. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Gram,
    Those are some interesting ideas that will also help others with their spyware tasks. The angle I've wondered about is the option of using HIJACK's log Vs. "another cleaner," where you don't need to investigate any entries as the cleaner does all the work for you, ie, Spybot. Even then, a problem may still merit further investigation where you want to know exactly what is still in your system, so you go back to HIJACK's log and start reviewing it. Maybe it's more efficient to just run a battery of cleaners ? ? I use everything, and I always use Hijack, but if someone doesn't know how to inerpert it, it's not going to be too helpful, they're better off running a good cleaner / Spybot / Spysweeper / Ad Ware.

These two websites will precisely explain how to interpert HIJACK THIS, use them both, they add a fuller understanding to each other:

Hijack Tutorial 1

Hijack Tutorial 2

To help you understand 'running process's" and .dll / bho / clsd's , use these sites to cross reference what you find in a Hijack log.

Task List

Executable List

All Known Bho's

All Known Toolbars -Clsid's

:)

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Cheers starwaves, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I kind of put this on the back burner, but recently I found my favourites list getting hijacked.

Further Qs...

Shouldn't a firewall stop these hijacks?

Are Adaware and Spybot likely to minimise the number of erroneous registry values/keys you find when running HJT?

I just ran HJT and checked the list myself rather than posting it here, and having a pretty good idea of what should be there, the ones that shouldn't stuck out a mile. I checked them, and lo and behold everything I didn't originally recognise had to go.
    This is cool on one hand, cos it gives me the confidence to check and fix my own HJT log, but on the other hand, these things could come back, right? Or do they get added to some sort of block list?

Anyhoo, I'm clean for now, which is always nice to know.

Thanks again,
    Gram

4. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Gramm,
    Definitely use SPYBOT and ADWARE 6.0, they will clean these parasitic hijackers from your machine very nicely, also try this one in addition to the above, they all work together, what one miss's the other's find,

SPYSWEEPER

Your question on the firewall; it's not really going to help ya here, these hijackers are getting on board by programs/files/links that you are downloading, some of them you may not be aware of either, and some still can be drive by downloads where you just go to a website, and pow they download onto your pc something wicked,

Without seeing your HIJACK LOG, I won't really know for sure but if your getting some favorites hijacked you might have Cool Web Search hijacking your browser, you can remove it with this:

CwShredder

check back again if you run into more hijackers,
    :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice