1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hijacked Email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rpndt1, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpndt1

rpndt1 Thread Starter

Alright, i've had this problem for a while: sometimes, i get a notice in my inbox that my message was not delivered. Problem: I never sent the email! Plus, the return transcript shows like

"John Doe <[email protected]>" even though "John Doe" or whatever isn't even my name. The same name never appears twice. This is a Yahoo account, and I have changed my passwords several time, and since this started, also built and used different computers.

How do I stop this?

PS. Of course, I have long since ditched Yahoo for Gmail, but I still don't want people sending spam or other messages in my name. Worst thing is, there is no option to "delete my account" with Yahoo.

2. Ratboy

Ratboy

rpndt1,

What you are experiencing is called Spoofing. It is a common technique used by spammers to attempt to hide their identity. They are not actually sending any email from your account. They are using your address as a return address.

There is very little that can be done other than deleting the messages.

You can try forwarding the returned message to [email protected], but it is unlikely that they will be able to find the identity of true sender of the message.

3. rpndt1

rpndt1 Thread Starter

Thanks!

At least I'm not being hijacked...I guess its the price I pay for giving out my email so freely online :eek: Guess I should be careful next time.

I hate spammers :mad:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice