Hijackthis and format suggestions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sandiejena

Hi you all helped me last time with this previous problem, I am not having any problems with pop-up just junk email. But i never got around to formatting the hard drive. My computer runs soooo slow, i can go and wash dishes while even a small text doc is trying to open. YIKES, talk about being impatient. The used space is 18.5 GB, unused space 1.34.
I was gonna just buy a bigger computer and a backup drive like iomega or seagate have been recommended to me- with more memory that my mem. stick and when I got a little exrta time just go thru and gid rid of files etc that are not needed any more.And then give this one when all clear to my other daughter. Well I have been wanting to do this for close to a year and I am too busy to get around to it. Just bought my daughter an IPOD 30gb for Xmas and the mistakes I made with that install etc learning new stuff by technical difficulties oh my [email protected]?*#$%
Anyway Its easier to just use my laptop.
Well 1st I wanted to do the Hijackthis to see if all in that is ok I already ran it and can post a log if any one wants to help. PLEASE and then any suggestions to the big long drama story of my PC

You could certainly do with more space on the hard drive. Try these 2 programmes -

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/EasyCleaner_by_ToniArts/1036753251/1

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

With Windows Cleanup go into Options and set to Standard cleanup. If you are deleting cookies make sure you remember any logins/passwords for sites that you visit.

With EasyClean avoid cleaning Duplicate Files.

You could also use use Disk Cleanup. To open Disk Cleanup, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.

I'm sure someone would help you with an HJT log if you posted one.

sandiejena

I periodically run the disk cleanup, it doesn't really make much of an impact. I will check out these other ones you posted. Also I got a reply for the HJT. It seems like the main problem of space is from my dig. cam downloads. Ever since I went from a 3 meg pix cam (which each image was around 150 kb), to a 5 meg pix camera (each image is around 2.19mb) it just hogs it all up. Someday I will review the pics and resize but thats already 1 yr of pics- I need time, time, time!!!
Thanx

Can you not burn your pics to CD?? This would be safer in the long term too. Also you can reduce the file size of your pictures within the camera settings. Unless you are going to print them at something like A4 size they do not need to be so large. Having said that 150kb for a 3 megapixel camera does seem too low.

Anyway best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

sandiejena

I totally agree with you when i open them they are like poster size. I have burned some to CDs but I wanted to go thru and make sure I had them all together and org-I just have to do it. What camera setting do you suggest?

On my 3 megapixel Canon I use M1 (1600x1200 resolution) at the Fine setting. This is good enough for me to print acceptable postcard size 6"x4" prints should I want to and of course I get lots more pictures on a card.

sandiejena

On my sony t-1 the settings are 5m, 3:2, 3m, 1m, vga-vga puts more space on the mem stick

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts