1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HijackThis/ Need help

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by boo_mystik, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boo_mystik

boo_mystik Thread Starter

Hey,

I just signed up. I had a browser hijacker on my computer, which I downloaded HijackThis to fix. It fixed it... no problem there.

However(here's the part to make you all roll your eyes<g>) I, being the impatient person I am sometimes... went and checked off everything that came up in the scan(yes, I know- why *did* I do that.. lol) Anyways- now I can't shift-click to open a new window from a link, nor can I just click a link and have it open into a seperate window(which worked fine before) I also cannot get links to open from Outlook Express, or any other program that has internet capabilities.

I have already re-installed Windows in hopes that would correct it, but to no avail. I also attempted to remove/reinstall IE, but I'm currently stuck somewhere in between an old version and a partially updated one. I can't download anything off of the WindowsUpdate site either. So I'm stuck.

Obviously when I checked all the boxes I removed files that I shuldn't have or strings of commands.. etc. Anyone know what I can do?

2. mamabear

mamabear

Did you try to restore everything you removed by opening HiJackThis, clicking on "config", "backups", "restore"?

3. mobo

mobo

Help me to understand... Did you check all the hijack items in the generated list ?

4. boo_mystik

Yep... everything. :/

5. mobo

mobo

What operating system ?

6. mobo

mobo

Follow the advice from Mamabear and close all browser windows , open hijack this click the config button, then click on the backup button. Highlight each entry , one at a time and select restore. Then when complete do another scan and without touching it copy and paste it here.

7. buckaroo

buckaroo

If you re-installed your OS then what you did or didn't do with Hijack This is now a moot point and any problem you have now would have nothing to do with HJT.

Motherboard, not sure he has any HJT backups to restore.

:confused:

8. mobo

mobo

Im a bit weary on that fact Buckaroo. The only way was if the partitioin was overwritten and not formatted.

9. flytape8490

flytape8490

NO FAIR!!! I PUT UP A THREAD 2 MINITS B4 THIS ONE AND HE ALREADY HAS MORE THAN 3 POSTS!!!

Also, i dont know how the hell to fix the problem... sry for being rude

10. buckaroo

buckaroo

:D yeah, your prolly right MB.....one never knows what they mean when they say "I've re-installed windows".

I take it literally.

(y)

11. boo_mystik

Ok...

I'm using Win98 SE

I looked for backup files on HJT, even though the option to do so was checked, I couldn't find any.

I thought sure reinstalling windows(and by that I mean I ran setup.exe and reinstalled win98 on my computer, not reformat the hard drive and install windows) would fix it because I got the feeling what I shouldn't have deleted pertained to strings of commands on how to open new browser windows(and gawd only knows what else). It seemed to run ok after I first removed the items, but little by little I'm finding quirks that aren't right now(like the links not working)

I just ran the scan again.. so you can see what's actually on there now.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 2:27:24 PM, on 10/7/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIBER SYSTEMS\AI ROBOFORM\ROBOTASKBARICON.EXE
    F:\MICROSOFT MONEY\SYSTEM\MONEY EXPRESS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    I:\TRILLIAN\TRILLIAN.EXE
    E:\PAINTSHOPPRO 8\PAINT SHOP PRO.EXE
    N:\WINAMP\WINAMP.EXE
    C:\HIJACKTH.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "F:\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {4C226336-4032-489F-9674-67E74225979B} (OTXMovie Class) - http://otx.ifilm.com/OTXMedia/OTXMedia.dll
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37900.9298958333

12. boo_mystik

::bumping::

Still need help... I really don't want to have to reformat :( It's a pain in the butt to reinstall everything.

13. mobo

mobo

Try to fix the links by : Click Start / Run / and type regsvr32 urlmon.dll

14. boo_mystik

No good...

I even tried closing IE completely and running it.

When a page opens in a new window, or if I open it manually wth shift-click, the window opens, but nothing happens- the url doesn't show up, it just sort of sits there, loading.

15. mobo

mobo

Try searching for missing or corrupted files then. Start/ run and type in sfc and let it search for any missing or corrupt files.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice