1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HIMEM Hangup! Win95 Gateway

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pearlaking, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pearlaking

pearlaking Thread Starter

HIMEM hangup! I am trying to help a friend who has a GATEWAY 2000 with WINDOWS 95. While on the internet one day, the system suddenly kicked her out and off. Everytime she would try to reboot the system would hang up. When she did F8 and tried to go to safemode, she could get the menu but it would not access Safemode. So, I tried to help. I did F1, checked the system setup, everything looked ok. I tried F8 and no option would work except command prompt in safe mode only. I tried to boot to a win98 setup disk and got an error "invalid system disk".
    While in the command prompt safe mode, I ran a scan disk and that ran fine with no problems. Then I tried to type Win to get to windows. We kept getting the error, HIMEM.SYS not found. When I did a dir command, HIMEM was certainly there. So, at a loss I did a format C: Then tried to reboot with win98 floppy. Invalid system disk. Rebooted with the Gateway system disk and it starts to load. Gets to Himem is testing extended memory. Done. Then it hangs and just sits there. We cannot get to a Dos prompt or any menu other than F1 setup. Will not boot to any other floppy or cd. Have we just killed it completely?

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

How much memory is supposed to be in this PC?
    Is it one stick or two?
    IF two sticks, try swapping them.
    IF only one, carefully remove it and reseat it.

Also, when it attempts to boot, are there any beeps from the system? IF so, how many? Long or short?

3. pearlaking

pearlaking Thread Starter

No beeps or other sounds at all. I'm not sure about the memory, I'll have to check with her. Does it sound like a memory stick problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice