1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

himem.sys not found

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ace-adam, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ace-adam

ace-adam Thread Starter

Hi! I'm running Win98, and it hangs while loading. I've attempted to troubleshoot, including accessing DOS prompt in safe mode. When trying to run WIN through DOS, computer displays "himem.sys not found". I've accessed CAB files and I seem to have successfully copied the himem.sys file to the windows directory, but still receive error message when attempting to load Windows. I've also attempted to edit config.sys and autoexec.bat, but that didn't seem to help anything.

I only have a boot disk for Win95, and I can't seem to install the OS because it won't recognize the CD-ROM, which has just recently been installed (actually CD-Recordable). Furthermore, I can't access the CD-ROM drive from DOS.

I'd appreciate any help! Most of the troubleshooting I've done so far came at the recommendation of others, and while I have little technical knowledge, I do catch on quick.

Thanks for anything you can offer!

Adam

2. brindle

brindle

Is this line in your config.sys
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

an after thought
    himem should be in both your C:\windows and C:\windows\command\ebd dirs.

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Ace-Adam:

The one flaw in creating a boot disk with Windows 95 is that it does not include any CDROM drivers, which is why you have to create a boot disk with Windows 98, which does include generic CDROM drivers.

A fully-functional boot disk with CDROM support can be done within Windows 95, but it involves several steps. I went through the process about 5 years ago, after learning how to do it. The steps are posted on my website.

The link that NightHawk provided for you makes the process much easier for Windows 95 users.

The only roadblock that you might run into afterwards is if your CDROM does not like nor wants to use the generic drivers.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice