himem.sys not found

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ace-adam

Hi! I'm running Win98, and it hangs while loading. I've attempted to troubleshoot, including accessing DOS prompt in safe mode. When trying to run WIN through DOS, computer displays "himem.sys not found". I've accessed CAB files and I seem to have successfully copied the himem.sys file to the windows directory, but still receive error message when attempting to load Windows. I've also attempted to edit config.sys and autoexec.bat, but that didn't seem to help anything.

I only have a boot disk for Win95, and I can't seem to install the OS because it won't recognize the CD-ROM, which has just recently been installed (actually CD-Recordable). Furthermore, I can't access the CD-ROM drive from DOS.

I'd appreciate any help! Most of the troubleshooting I've done so far came at the recommendation of others, and while I have little technical knowledge, I do catch on quick.

Thanks for anything you can offer!

Adam

Is this line in your config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

an after thought
himem should be in both your C:\windows and C:\windows\command\ebd dirs.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Ace-Adam:

The one flaw in creating a boot disk with Windows 95 is that it does not include any CDROM drivers, which is why you have to create a boot disk with Windows 98, which does include generic CDROM drivers.

A fully-functional boot disk with CDROM support can be done within Windows 95, but it involves several steps. I went through the process about 5 years ago, after learning how to do it. The steps are posted on my website.

The link that NightHawk provided for you makes the process much easier for Windows 95 users.

The only roadblock that you might run into afterwards is if your CDROM does not like nor wants to use the generic drivers.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online