History

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

leix32

How can I disable the History function in Win 98(ie 5.0)? I ask

this because the normal tools--internet options--clear history does

not delete the History items from the list . Thanks in advance.

mh.

In Tools, Internet Options (in IE) you could set "days to keep in history" to zero, then manually delete the history folder from your machine.

(It's strange that you can't do a simple "Clear History" in IE).

Hi,

Are you talking about the contents of the address bar drop-down list, or the list of sites that pops up when you click on the History button? When you click on "Clear History", it will not clear out the entries from that day. You'll have to open up your history folder, then double-click "Today", then delete everything in there.
The History folder is considered a system folder, and probably shouldn't be deleted.:)

leix32
Welcome to TSG!
Sysco is correct with history items, however are you also referring to the autocomplete dropdown list that appears anytime you start keying in a web site address? If so that is a different proceedure to remove all the possiblities that may exist. One way we recently tried
thanks to Kento, was a program called spider which goes in and cleans house of all hidden cookie, ans urls saved for autocomplete.
There is allot of information listed in the index.dat files. You will be amazed at the amount.
Here is the reference thread.
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55214
Dave

leix32

My problem is with History which lists the web pages visited ; not the auto complete.

As suggested I went in to Windows Explorer clicked History ---
"To day" and deleted the contents and they were cleared from that location . I returned to the browser clicked History and there they were again .

I'D like to sincerely thank you for your help. Please let me know if you have any further ideas to solve this problem.

To other pieces of info may be clues

The setting for clearing is O days

I recently had installed a CD burner .

Again Many Thanks .

mh.

You cannot clear Today while the Browser is open. Did you close IE first and then delete Today from Windows Explorer? If you didn't, that is more than likely the problem. Also, when you oClear History using the Button, today is not cleared.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online