1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hitachi 250 GB ata 100 high pitch sqeal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radiodurans, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radiodurans

radiodurans Thread Starter

i've just purchased a new hitachi deskstar 250 gb ata 100 hard drive for my computer. it is installed as slave on the same cable that contains the master hard drive with my OS. i hear a hitch pitch sqeal every 4 or 5 minutes. Its not THAT loud but my friend can hear it in the hallway outside my room. is this normal for this sort of drive? i tried copying a file and pasting it then deleting it from another hard drive onto this one and i didnt hear a thing.

should i return it (ship it back to california) or should it be ok?

2. batharoy

batharoy

This is not normal for a hard drive you should not hear anything more then
    some quiet clicking type noises and if those become loud then you should replace the drive.

My advice is to get an RMA and return the drive.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Got to agree here, if it's loud enough that it's easily heard a few feet away, something is wrong.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice