1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hitachi HDD Slow Down & Bad Sector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hybrid SyntaX, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hybrid SyntaX

Hybrid SyntaX Thread Starter

Hello
    a while ago when i was attempting to back up my computer by using Acronis TrueImage i had seen following error
    "failed to read sector xxx,xxx,xxx ..." a while later i've experienced heavy slowing down when i was installing a software i've turned the computer off and after that when i went to windows i've seen a BSOD with following error
    "Registry File Failure..."
    so i assumed that my HDD has some bad sector so i've ran HD Tune
    in error scan tab there were some damaged segment and in Health Tab "reallocated sector count" was yellow but its status was OK
    however i've used SpinRite to recover bad sectors but it wasn't successful
    now it takes too much time to boot windows vista ( a fresh install !!) and after that it start to check my drives (c,d and now c,d,e) it delete some index and recover some files and also says some files aren't readable
    i feel that slowing down in windows vista too
    however i've been using this HDD for around 2 years

btw what's my problem ? what should i do ?
    can i use this HDD anymore?

sorry if it was too long :eek:
    Thanks in Advance

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Sounds like a bad HD. You can swap it out and you'll know for sure. Jazz

3. Hybrid SyntaX

Thanks for reply
    you mean that i should buy a new one ?
    that hdd isn't usable for back up even?

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

If a HD isn't reliable for an OS and data why would you think it would be reliable as a backup. I think I would make sure I don't lose my data, and or cause my system problems with a faulty HD of any kind. You may be able to salvage some data off the one but it's a difficult procedure, (which is why it usually takes an tech qualified in the process), or try cleaning the entire disk by zeroing it out to see if that clears the problems up. HD's fail.If there's a warranty on it, and sometimes there is, you might have the manufacture replace or at least give you a break on price. Go online and find the number and call them. It's worth a shot. Let us know, Jazz

5. Hybrid SyntaX

well i thought its problem might not be that critical and it's solvable
    btw i've bought a new hdd and mounted it beside my old hdd what kind of problem it cause ? (i've removed all of the partitions on my old drive)

btw i couldn't use its warranty...

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

Best you can do is try. But if your backup drive is bad and you store any data on it you're likely not to have it at some point. It's also a piece of hardware which means if it decides to give up entirely your system will notice the problem. Jazz

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice