1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HJT not fixing Host items in log files and various

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Raysumire, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raysumire

Raysumire Thread Starter

My information:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8079 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -280 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 381551 MB, Free - 55429 MB; D: Total - 564118 MB, Free - 250072 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., CG5275
    Antivirus: None

Hello!

The problem i am having is that
    I found all this out as a result of trying to get rid of what appear to be a browser hijacker, whenever i click a link it takes me to some miscelaneous random search site like "searchfast" / "answers.com"

So im trying to get rid of the random search sites coming up when i click links.

When i run HJT i get the following message:

"For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file, if any hijacked domains are in this file, HJT may NOT be able to fix this"

When i try to take the steps it gives me to created a hosts files in the location of
    C:\windows\systems32\drivers\etc\hosts

I get an error stating i need to contact my administrator for permission to save here.
    My account is set with full control.

Also in my HJT when i select things that say "(file missing)" next to it, they still reappear in the hijack this log even after reboot. How can i get rid of these from showing up? and are they safe to be there?

Lastly, if you happen to notice anything that I do not, that may be causing my computer harm or decreased performance, please do tell me what it is and how i can fix it.

My HJT is attached, and the file with it is the 'Hosts' file i saved that would keep giving me that message about lacking privileges.

Thank you so very much in advance.

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HiJackThis 2.0.4 does not work properly with the 64-bit version of Windows.

It will not display all necessary log entries and it will display several log entries with "file missing".

-------------------------------------------------------

You should not attempt to fix log entries without knowing what you're doing because you can make things even worse.

The reason why you're receiving the "hosts file" message is because the computer's User Account Control(UAC) feature needs to be turned off and then the computer restarted before using HiJackThis.

--------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!