1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HL2 Portal graphics glitch

Discussion in 'Games' started by sigmadraconis, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sigmadraconis

sigmadraconis Thread Starter

Hi there,

I absolutely love Valve's game Portal but I have a major problem with the game. At ALL times in the game there are weird gray lines that fly around the portal gun and around any CCTV cameras on the maps. I have read about graphics tearing - but I'm not sure if that is what it is.

I have tried locking the frame rate to 60fps, altering AA, filtering, framerate, VSYNC but none of these settings seems to make a difference.

I have played the entire HL series to date and I do not recall seeing this glitch before - although I also get this glitch in Fallout 3 (but only in indoor areas). I have attached a screen shot but it really doesn't do it justice - imagine 30/40 of these shapes flying around the portal gun ALL THE TIME.

I don't understand it - my gear is more than capable of playing this game, surely?

Thank you very much for any help,

Rod.

Attached Files:

2. osarius

osarius

You mean the black line?

What happens when you stand still?

3. osarius

osarius

4. sigmadraconis

The glitch is always there. Whether standing still, walking, jumping, waiting in a lift - its even in the background of the main menu!

Everything else is fine, absolutely no graphics problems. Just these weird damn lines...

5. sigmadraconis

I don't think the dev messages have anything to do with it (although I'm not sure). If they are then what would I need to do?

Edit: I enabled devmode when I was locking the framerate to 60fps - hence the messages at the top left. I looked over them but I didn't see anything that I thought was relevant...

6. sigmadraconis

Its not just one black line - that I could put up with. Its dozens of them that fly around the gun randomly (and the camera's in the game).

7. osarius

osarius

Are you running through Steam or is it stand-alone?

If it's running in Steam, you could try Verifying the integrity of the local files. This might solve a missing vector file. Or:

If it's stand-alone or even in Steam, try reducing all the graphics settings to their lowest settings. If that's still not working, then perhaps your graphics drivers are out-of-date.

Have you got the minimum system specs for Portal?

Intel Processor - Pentium 4 3.0GHz
    AMD Processor - Athlon XP 3000+
    Nvidia Graphics Card - GeForce 6600 GT
    ATI Graphics Card - Radeon X700 Series
    RAM (Memory) - 1 GB
    Hard Disk Space - 3 GB
    DirectX 9

EDIT: I just saw you're running Vista. It's well know Vista doesn't like high GPU intensive graphics. Perhaps try running in compatibility mode.

8. tom6049

tom6049

That looks like the video card is either overclocked too much or is over heating.
    Maybe check to see if the video card fan is working.

9. sigmadraconis

Osarius:
    My specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHZ
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS
    4GB RAM
    64-Bit Vista OS

That should be good enough to run Portal surely? I have played HL2 on a system half as good...
    I have verified the game files - they are fine.
    I have tried setting all of the settings to their lowest, then I tried each one individually, still no luck.
    I'm running Portal through Steam btw.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks.

10. sigmadraconis

tom6049:

My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS - I don't think it is overclocked. It does get hot after a few hours of game play but the glitch is present as soon as the game is started; even if the card is perfectly cool.

Thanks though.

11. osarius

osarius

That certainly should go good enough for Portal. I can run it on lower specs than that.

Copy this command into a new shortcut on your desktop to run a diagnostics on Steam, and post the results back here:

12. sigmadraconis

When I run the shortcut with the above command nothing happens... is there any other way to run the diagnostics? Or am I just not doing it right?:

Create new shortcut
    Put steam://support/?Issues=Connection*as the location of the item
    Use shortcut

13. osarius

osarius

Hmm, yeah, you're doing it right.

Try
    instead.

14. sigmadraconis

A Steam window flashes up very briefly (too brief to see) with the second command you gave me... doesn't seem to do anything else though.

Is this a problem with my copy of Steam? As a program it works perfectly fine, I've never had reason to think that files/features were missing...

15. osarius

osarius

No, I'm getting the same when I attempt it on my Steam client.

Perhaps Steam might be able to help you more if you post on their Portal forums through the Community tab.

They can help you directly in that case. Sorry I can't be of much more help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice