1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hmm.. Maybe?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Seth13, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

I think I just had an epiphany reading another thread. I had posting thread after thread on here about how to get more performance out of my system when I just read one and it said that you have to reinstall windows after you upgrade to a new motherboard. I recently upgraded my GPU, Motherboard, and RAM. But I used my existing CPU, harddrive, and CD/DVD drives. When I hooked everything up, all I had to do was boot up my system and put in my XP CD key again and log on. Everything was exactly the way I had left it before I took anything apart. Then I realized that my GPU was getting 3Dmark scores of around 7k, when it should be recieving scores around 10k Would not reinstalling windows be my problem?

2. BlueBelton

BlueBelton

Hi Seth,

It is oft said that re-installing Windows every now-and-then (say annually - depends) is a good idea to speed the system up. Now, for most of us this is too much of a pain in the proverbial. However, it is (in theory, anyway) good practice. This is likely to be especially true if the Motherboard is changed I suspect but don't have an explanation - I may be wrong, just a gut feeling.

So, if you can face it, a re-installation of Windows is a good idea for sorting out progressive slowness etc. But do remember re-installing can also bring a myriad problems - so good luck.

BB

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

That could certainly contribute to the lower scores. You got LUCKY changing your motherboard and getting out of a repair or reinstall.

I agree with Blue that an occasional wipe and reinstall really helps with performance. Not always exactly practical, however.

4. thechanmane

thechanmane

Whenever you upgrade a core component of your computer's hardware, you definitely want to reinstall Windows. As was mentioned earlier, this is often times a pain, but it should be considered a routine part of upgrading your hardware.

So, what is considered a core component of your computer hardware? If you upgrade or replace the motherboard or processor, you should definitely reinstall Windows. Upgrading the RAM, or graphics card does not necessarily require that you reinstall Windows, but you would definitely want to check for BIOS updates and remove any previous video drivers. Upgrading a hard drive (especially if it's your primary drive) will usually require that you reinstall windows, unless you have a way of duplicating the drive. Even if you have a way of duplicating the drive, it is often times a good idea to simply reinstall windows and then transfer personal files.

To answer your primary concern about whether or not you will see a performance increase: you would see a performance increase if you reinstall Windows (probably dramatic). Reinstalling windows on a regular basis will usually lead to performance increases, but after installing new hardware (any core component), you will only be hurting yourself if you don't. Windows optimizes itself during installation to run with your specific hardware, and when this hardware is replaced, it is good practice to reinstall Windows and re optimize your system, even if your new hardware remains compatible with your old configuration.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice