1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hmm, mp3s don't want to budge...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drivethru, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drivethru

drivethru Thread Starter

I'm attempting to move some mp3s from my flatmate's computer to mine, via a 4gb memory stick. I've been allowed to move some, but they suddenly started saying "cannot copy [filename]: the directory or file cannot be created". They're all comlete files, I've error-checked the memory stick, I can open them and move them to other folders on the same drive, i can delete them, which makes me think it's the memory stick. Please can anyone help?:(

2. drivethru

drivethru Thread Starter

Oh, I'm on XP. Thanks!

3. endfro

endfro

Are you trying to move them to a directory tree that is long, and has a lot of characters in the folders?

including the c:\ windows can only use 255 characters for a file name.

so c:\WINDOWS\PRETENDthisIS255CHARACTERS\FILENAME.FILE would be too long (provided pretendThisIs255Characters is actually that long. =] )

4. drivethru

drivethru Thread Starter

no, there are none that long... since i posted the message, i've discovered that i can't put anything on the memory stick, i was trying to download a file from a website, clicked save as, and it said something along the lines of "destination drive full" and referred to it as drive u: ... It's actually drive f: and there's 3.5 gig left on it! Confused i am

5. endfro

endfro

I am confused too. Have you properly disconnected the drive, rebooted and reconnected the drive? Reconnect it upon logging in I mean.

6. drivethru

drivethru Thread Starter

i've not tried that, shall give it a go... thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!