1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hmm my comp just wont boot now.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryan135, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan135

ryan135 Thread Starter

Ok, hi everyone. Basically last night, I left my compuyter running and went to sleep. It's specs are: p4 1.8 Ghz, 1gb ram,asus p4te mobo, wd 100gb hdd,geforce 4 ti4600 graphics card, all in a antec case. Ok what is happening is, I woke up and as I went to computer I noticed the HDD LED on front case was on solid yellow, not blinking at all, just on solid. I move mouse in attempt to wake up my computer up. It sits there..I hit the rest button and it blinks but the HDD LED remains on solid never blinking. I then turn off the computer manually from the power strip. I wait 10 seconds and power it back on. As I power it back on, my monitor shows NO SIGNAL and the hdd light is still on never blinking. It wont boot, it just sits there running. I have yet to trouble shoot completely if it could be the hard drive, processor, or whatever. Does anyone know what this means? Help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Ryan~

2. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi,

I leave my computer on overnight all the time, depending on what I'm downloading and have no problem, so it's not directly harmful to do what you did, unless you got hit by a major thunderstorm,

Do you hear the normal startup 'beeps' . . do the floppy/cd drive lights come on or just stay on? Can you hear the hard drive spinning when you boot, and can you hear the fans come on?

You need your emergency boot disk, if you don't have one download one here: Boot Disk

Plug your boot disk in the floppy and boot up, that should bring you to the DOS prompt at A:\>

Now do as many of the following that you can:

a) at the prompt type in, scandisk /all and hit enter

b) now type all these commands and hit enter after each;

C:
    cd windows
    cd command
    scanreg /restore

If this is successful you'll see a list of 5 previous dates to choose from to restore your registry, choose an older one, select with your arrow keys, hit enter, reboot your computer --- ctrl alt del, or type in win

any success?

If you can access the dos prompt using your boot disk for the above, also try switching to C:

at the A:/> type in C:,
    now type dir

does it return your directories and files on C ?

your hard drive may have failed here,

you may also want to open up your pc and check the hard drive cables,

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/231466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice