Hmm... suggestions please on issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Couriant

James
Yes, T4Y is having a slight issue and I would like to share the problem with you guys and get some feedback.

My computer has been acting weird since it crashed on me. When it did crash, it would be stuck in a loop in resetting itself. I had to go into safe mode with network to get it to work. Now my computer has some kind of lag when opening up Firefox and with iTunes open too for example. Also it has been going on with other programs too. I noticed that the CPU was getting abnormally high in usage. I did the normal things like check for spyware / viruses etc and clean as a whistle. Can this be a hardware issue?

At what point in the boot process would it restart? Does it get past POST and Windows splash screen?

Being that it will boot in safe mode leads me to believe it's a software issue.

Good Evening Tidus, that sounds like something has changed something or gotten in and is running, using resources.
Give this "smartcop" a run http://www.s-cop.com/free-scanner.html
Try running it in safemode firstly. (sounds like that's all you have!)
Then try running it while your normal AV is in monitoring mode. It often is surprising what pops up!
How is your hard drive free space, it is not some kind of memory leak by any chance.
I really don't like those kinds of problems, I usually just clean reload the thing if I can't easily see the cause.
Cheers, qldit.

By the way I have seen that kind of loop caused by the audio system having a problem. Going into device manager and disabling the audio devices may have effect.
qldit.

Couriant

James
It's fine now... at least it looks like it. The restarting point was at the windows xp splash screen. I must have done too much for the computer to handle, but the only thing i had was a windower for Final Fantasy XI, which i have been using since I found it. Square-Enix had an update which i downloaded and thats when I had the problem.

I will try the program when i get home from school.

Couriant

James
Well, I ran smartcop, and I'm suprised that it found a few viruses that AVG and Trendmicro couldn't find. But the locations were the most suprising, it found 2 viruses in the Spybot - Search and Destroy folder :eek:

Anyways, an update. Since the crash, my sound has been somewhat screwy. For example, I would start iTunes and then start any other program, like FireFox for example and then the sound would be a echoey stutter, and will continue to do that until it subsides or if I paused the music and then unpause it. But thats not the only thing, some of my games are affected too. I was playing one game (Spellforce) and whenever something happened, like mass movement, then the sound will distort. I have also noticed that my hard drive is being used too much.

So a recap of what I have done:

Ran updated anti-spyware programs and deleted known problems:
* Microsoft Anti-Spyware, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy used

Ran updated anti-virus programs and fixed known problems:
* AVG, TrendMicro used

Updated my motherboard drivers
*BIOS, Chipset, Audio updated

Used different memory to rule out the memory.

I am tempted to format my volume and restart from fresh... but if i can save myself from going that route that would be better :)

In case anyone is interested, here is my specs:

AMD 2700+, Foxconn 600A01, 512Mb Generic Memory, 200Gb Hard Drive, 128Mb Chaintech 128Mb AGP, Windows XP Pro w/ SP1. 3 Fans for cooling (2 on front, 1 on back)

crjdriver

Different apps have different definitions as to what a "virus" is; somewhat like Bill Clinton asking what is is. It would be normal to find a virus / trojan in spybot because that is where the backup or restore for spybot is located.

AVG used to be pretty good and I used to recommend it; now avg seems to have gone downhill. I would download and run avast [they have a home or free version also] I have been very impressed with avast.

My own system was acting strange and running a little slowly. I thought I would just reinstall; on a whim I uninstalled avg and installed avast [actually my son recommended it] Well avast found a virus that avg missed. So I installed it on my wife's computer and it found a trojan avg missed.

What makes me mad is that I had the pro version of avg; the one you pay for. Needless to say avast is now installed on all systems here.

crjdriver,
Deja Vu!! I had the same thing happen to me when uninstalling AVG and installing Avast. I have been an Avast man ever since. I would have never known it, but AVG's download site was down the night I tried to d/l the newest version and I had uninstalled the old version. I had to have protection right away, so I found Avast and the rest is history.

crjdriver

One option it gives you is a boot time scan. This will allow it to remove a virus that cannot be removed normally due to access being denied.

I think you will like it; who knows it might even solve your problem.

Couriant

James
lets hope so... it's getting so annoying... i can't listen to music without opening another program :mad:

Tidus4Yuna said:
Well, I ran smartcop, and I'm suprised that it found a few viruses that AVG and Trendmicro couldn't find. But the locations were the most suprising, it found 2 viruses in the Spybot - Search and Destroy folder :eek:

Good Afternoon Tidus, yes as far as I know that is normal to find a detection in Spybot, it think there are sample files in it.
With those problems where a malware/viral kind of thing has been involved and you start having stress, I usually spend about 2 milliseconds before a system reload.
It certainly saves a lot of time.
By the way, if you decide to try that (I notice you are running an AMD) give a slipstreamed version of windows a try if you have to overload a later service pack, it certainly helps makes things run smoother.
qldit.

Couriant

James
I have tried to make a slipstream cd but to no avail. The information given on one site doesn't work for me as thier instructions were for a different version of Nero. Do you have any easy way to do it?

crjdriver

Yes, it is a two step process first you must do the slipstream THEN you make a bootable CD. These instructions are for doing it from a command prompt. This is how I do it, however it is easier to do with an app like nlite. Here are my instructions for slipstreaming. Note if you need the boot image, you can pm me and I will email it to you.

1) Copy the complete xp cd to a folder that you make. I will call it XP [you can call it whatever you want] It would look like this C:\XP
2) Download the full [network] version of the sp to a folder called xpsp2 ie C:\xpsp2
3) Extract the service pack. You can use an unzip type of program like winra or you can extract the sp with this command in the run box “xpsp2.exe –x” without quotes. You must know the folder you downloaded the sp to so the full syntax would be C:\xpsp2\xpsp2.exe –x Where C:\xpsp2 is the place you downloaded the sp to.
4) Now we apply the sp to the folder you copied your xp cd to. Open a command prompt [Start>Run type in cmd and hit enter] Type this in the command prompt “C:\sp2\i386\update\update.exe /s:C:\xp” without the quotes. You can substitute the name of the folders / drive you used if it is different. You should see a box open up and show the update process.
5) Now your folder that you copied the xp cd to is at sp2. We now need to make this into a bootable cd. Note you can put other things on the cd as well such as drivers needed for the install. This way everything is in one place. It makes the install go much easier.
6) The following is for using nero to make a bootable cd. If you have another burning program, you must refer to the program’s help section on bootable cds.
7) Place a blank cdr in your cd drive. Open the full version of nero, not nero express. Choose “cdrom boot” from the first menu. You must have either an image file to use for the boot or you can extract the boot image from the original xp cd. I use a boot image and I can e-mail it if necessary. Point nero at the location of your boot image file. Next enable expert settings and choose “No emulation” change loaded sectors to 4; go to iso tab and change file length to 31 characters. Go to label tab and label it whatever you want. Click the “New” button and navigate to the folder in which you have xp [the now updated version] open the folder and copy the complete contents of the folder [not the folder itself] to the cd. Put anything else you want that will fit such as drivers, utilities, ect. When finished, click burn and you have a custom xp install disk with sp2 and anything else you want on the disk. It is completely bootable and works just like a full retail version of the os, just better because it is customized for your use.

Note I have done this many times and it works great. Each install I do for someone, I make a custom install disk. I use the disk for the install and their copy of xp or win2k is still in it’s original wrapping unopened.

crjdriver

BTW you can do this for win2k as well; just make the folder names anything you want.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online