1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ho, Ho, Ho Could this be a Hardware Problem??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cleek, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cleek

cleek Thread Starter

Hi,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 6000 lap top running Windows XP. A few weeks back it began locking up and giving me the Blue Screen with various error messages. After trying various fixes with no success I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows.

Everything worked OK for a week then I got another blue screen error message. I asked the IT person in our office to look at it and he found a line of script missing; reinstalled the missing line & everything worked well for a few days; then last night the same problem happened again.

IT thinks it may be a hardware problem and I'd like the forum's feedback on this.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. spudder

spudder

have you check the cpu temp , and does it seem to run the fan more or louder ,,
    what are you doing when it bsd ,,
    if you reformatted and reinstalled,, then after a few days it happen again , and then the IT replaced a script ,, and it solve the problem then i believe that is a software problem , what kinda programs do you use on it

3. cleek

cleek Thread Starter

How would I check the CPU temp? The fan does come on once in awhile, bit its not running all the time. After the script was inserted the computer ran for around 3 days before BSD. This was the same deal that happened before the first reformat and reinstall. The computer runs for 1 to 3 days OK then BSD.

I run simple stuff on it; Office, etc. Nothing heavy on graphics or number crunching. Most of the time when the BSD happens I'm on the Internet.

Paul

4. spudder

spudder

speed fan can be use to check cpu , gpu and other temps on your computer here is a download site
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SpeedFan.shtml
    have you run your spyware and anitvirus programs also does it only happen when your on the net and one last thing , are you using only internet explorer to surf , have you tried to download firefox or netscape or something else to surf with to see if is a problem from the net , that affects your computer through internet explorer

5. cleek

cleek Thread Starter

I'll try the softpedia site when I get home this evening; I use Firefox to surf. Actually, I would say that every time it BSD's o0n me is when I'm online, but that's what I sue this computer for, e-mail, surfing, etc. I've got a desk top for other applications.

I've run various spyware/antivirus programs before and all have shown nothing.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice