1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hoax Virus Page

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by rhettman5, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhettman5

    rhettman5 Thread Starter

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2000
    Messages:
    1,825
    If you are as lucky as I, you have at least one friend or relative who LOVES to E-Mail you with every new hint or threat of a virus.

    Well meaning, but agrivating.

    Send them this page and hint that they might check before they pass on their "desperate warning" you'll both have a better day!
    : http://vmyths.com/hoax.cfm ...Rhett
     
  2. TonyKlein

    TonyKlein Malware Specialist

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2001
    Messages:
    10,392
    Hi Rhett,

    Very useful indeed! :D

    Greetz,
     
  3. TooToby

    TooToby

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2000
    Messages:
    117
    Great idea Rhett. No way are we going to stop those hoaxes, but if we at least enlighten the people who send them to us, maybe it will slow them down a little, and make them think before sending on the next one.

    http://www.snopes2.com/ is another great site for checking out hoaxes. They don't pull any punches if you want to send the page regarding the particular hoax back to the gullible person who sent it to you in the first place. It is also interesting to read just for the entertainment!
     
  4. RandyG

    RandyG

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2000
    Messages:
    7,762
    http://www.datafellows.com/virus-info/hoax/

    This is the Hoax site I use to inform others. They make the following statement at the top of the page.

     
  5. littlemar

    littlemar

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2001
    Messages:
    9,082
    http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

    I have found the unusal ones at this site. Working in the IS Dept I have received many emails stating "thought you should know about this so you can warn others". Almost 90% are hoaxes and the other 10% I already know about. If it's legit I send out an email stating what should be looked for and how to handle it. I also have a draft saved that I send to those users that forward the "warning" indicating "How to Spot a Hoax".

    Even this doesn't work since you would need to read the document and I don't think they do. If you really read the hoax I would think a rational person would question some of the statements or why didn't IS send something to us if it's true. This part of my job drives me crazy.

    :( :rolleyes: littlemar
     
  6. Rockn

    Rockn

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2001
    Messages:
    21,334
    Most AV sites have an extensive listing of hoaxes anyway...where do you think these other sites get their info from??
     
  7. hewee

    hewee

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2001
    Messages:
    57,793
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60447

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice