1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hoem network not working after windows xp reinstall

Discussion in 'Networking' started by otherguy, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. otherguy

otherguy Thread Starter

I have three computers neworked at home. One got infected with a trojan and I was forced to reinstall xp. Luckily I was able to recover all my data (ecept thunderbird email boxes). I have spent the better part of the past 36 hours reloading software, including all the microsoft security patches. The computer seems to working fine.

A couple problems have crept up:

(1) I can not share files between the two computers on my desk. When I view work group computers, they are both there, but when I open Excel, and try to access the shared folder on another compiuter I get a message that teh network connecion is unavailable.

(2) I can print form only one computer, but not the one that I'm having trouble accessing.

Is there a way for me to delete the current network and start over from scratch?

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Does the machine your trying to connect to have File and Print Sharing and installed?

3. otherguy

otherguy Thread Starter

file and print sharing enabled. Note the machine I am trying to connect to is not the one that had the windows xp reinstall.

I reran nwtwrok setip and reinserted the xp disc. This allowws me to see files from one computer on the other, but not vice vera. Also, I still get a print error

4. otherguy

otherguy Thread Starter

My Zone Alarm firewall was not allowing access. Once i Turned off the firewall, all is well. I was able to install printer on the other machine and share files.

Question now is, why didn't sone alarm give me the option of accepting the connection? It simply refused it/

5. otherguy

otherguy Thread Starter

Had to reconfigure Zone Alarm to allow the access from network ips

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice