Hoem network not working after windows xp reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

otherguy

I have three computers neworked at home. One got infected with a trojan and I was forced to reinstall xp. Luckily I was able to recover all my data (ecept thunderbird email boxes). I have spent the better part of the past 36 hours reloading software, including all the microsoft security patches. The computer seems to working fine.

A couple problems have crept up:

(1) I can not share files between the two computers on my desk. When I view work group computers, they are both there, but when I open Excel, and try to access the shared folder on another compiuter I get a message that teh network connecion is unavailable.

(2) I can print form only one computer, but not the one that I'm having trouble accessing.

Is there a way for me to delete the current network and start over from scratch?

otherguy

file and print sharing enabled. Note the machine I am trying to connect to is not the one that had the windows xp reinstall.

I reran nwtwrok setip and reinserted the xp disc. This allowws me to see files from one computer on the other, but not vice vera. Also, I still get a print error

otherguy

My Zone Alarm firewall was not allowing access. Once i Turned off the firewall, all is well. I was able to install printer on the other machine and share files.

Question now is, why didn't sone alarm give me the option of accepting the connection? It simply refused it/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online