1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Holye Card Games: Downloaded, but can't find setup.exe

Discussion in 'Games' started by pcbaaya, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcbaaya

pcbaaya Thread Starter

Dell Dimension 8200
    Pentium 4
    40GB hard drive
    RAM 768
    WinXP Home
    The download box gave no choice of where to send the download--just said "C:\Documents~ \Hoyle Card Games," and I couldn't expand it to find out where the setup program is. Windows "Search" function couldn't find anything, although the smaller program I had to use to download the game demo was sitting right there inside a folder on my desktop. Maybe something is wrong with Search, but I have no idea how to fix it.
    Every time I clicked on the "fetch" icon for this program, hoping to find a way to see where the setup files had been downloaded to, I got the message that they were being "extracted," but before the extraction (and to where?!) could be completed, my computer hung and I had to press the on/off button to turn it off, so I really want to get rid of this file. Of course, it is not listed in Add Remove or among my program files, so I have no access to its Uninstall. It is supposedly taking up 510.15MB of my hard disk somewhere. I used System Restore to go back a day to before I had anything to do with Hoyle Card Games, and now that original "fetch" icon is gone, but presumably the thing is still eating up space.
    I am really disgusted. Can anyone please help?

2. TSGTSP

TSGTSP

Not sure what you're saying... What did you use to download the file(s)? If you don't know where the file is just do a search and find all files created on the day of download.

3. pcbaaya

pcbaaya Thread Starter

Thanks so much for answering. I downloaded the file from digitalriver.com, using a link from PC World.
    You have opened my eyes to new possibilities. I didn't know I could specify the day a file was created, when doing a search. I tried that and found where Hoyle Card Games setup.exe was supposed to be, in "Local Settings\Temp", under my user name on my PC, but I couldn't find that "Local Settings" folder until I got the idea of making hidden files visible, and there it was, with Hoyle Card Games setup inside it. Why on earth any program would be downloaded to a file inside an invisible folder is beyond me, but anyhow, my problem has been solved, and I am very grateful for your hints that helped me find it.
    I was getting uptight about this because when I tried to defrag recently, I got the message that the hard disk didn't have enough space.
    Am I right in assuming that when I have downloaded a setup file and then use System Restore, that file is not erased, but still takes up space on the hard disk?

4. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    You might also want to make a directory(s) specific for downloading. For example on all of my computers I make a "Junk" directory on the C drive and then inside "Junk" directory I make a sub-directory for "Downloads" and another for "Test Files". Anything I download, I direct to "Downloads" and if I need to unzip it I do that into the "Test Files". I can easily find my files and I can also add more sub-directories if I need to. When I have finished with these files, I delete them (don't delete the directories/sub-directories :eek: )

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Most downloads will go to the Temp for temporary use while installing... though most won't delete it afterwards :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice