1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

home computer problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fudd, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fudd

fudd Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 502 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76285 MB, Free - 50972 MB; E: Total - 476821 MB, Free - 295440 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HH807
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
    ****************************************************************************************************************
    1--how do I password protect a floppy disk?
    2--every time I boot up my system it reinstalls my printer.

my printer is a... HP PSC 1350 ALL IN ONE

thank you.

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

By item:
    Issue - 1.
    Password Protection of a diskette is not a common practice. You may want to read the section on EFS in your Windows Help files (Encrypting File System). Basically, if you encrypt the data file(s) that are then saved to a diskette, they remain encrypted until you reinsert the disk and attempt to use it. You would then be prompted for your personal identification info (established during use of the EFS) to access the data. The file itself is protected, not the whole disk.
    Protecting the diskette itself from tampering is done physically via the security tab on the underside of the diskette. This only prevents the disk from being written to, or over-writing. Thus preventing the data files from being lost.

Please consider this before you get too involved in encrypting your data files, especially using a floppy diskette.
    1. Floppy disks have VERY small storage capacity, less than 1.44m.
    2. Floppy disks do not have a long shelf life. Think of them as the "Cheap Cassette Tape" of digital storage. If you have any data stored on one for any real length of time, chances are you will lose it through simple disk failure. The more you use the disk, the faster it wears out. Even NOT using it does not prevent the ravages of time. An expensive diskette, stored under ideal conditions can still lose it's "fidelity" (for lack of a better description) like an old cassette tape.
    3. If you have something that you want a longer, safer method of saving files, please consider using a solid-state device and/or media. There are many USB devices that utilize SD cards for storage, more storage space and a much longer potential life span. Again, you could use EFS to protect those files from prying eyes.

Issue - 2
    I am assuming this is a USB connected device, correct?
    Was the original software installed BEFORE the unit was connected? or did (does) Windows just load some drivers for it by itself?

Printers are very finicky devices and their software can be vary particular about how it is installed.
    1. With the computer up and running, disconnect the printer.
    2. Uninstall the software via the Add/Remove Programs section of your Control Panel.
    3. After it says it is uninstalled, check your list of printers, again via Control Panel list. It should not be there.
    4. Reboot the computer.
    5. Re-install the software from the manufacturers disc.
    6. When prompted to connect the printer, make a mental note of which USB port is used, and always use that port for that printer.
    7. Reboot the computer to see if it is found where it is supposed to be without re-installing itself.

Notes:
    If there has been more than one printer installed, but you only plan on using that one, uninstall all of the others.
    I have had to uninstall and re-install a printer several times before it acted correctly. They can really be a pain.

Hope that helps...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice