1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Directories

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by perseous, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perseous

perseous Thread Starter

I was trying to help a friend set up his 2000 server, and he wants to have each user use a home directory on the server instead of on there local hard drive. I was thinking that this was done in the local path of the user profile. After inspection and research on the web I found this to not be true. Now I am at a lose. How do you do this and where is it done? The only three places I can think of for this is either profile path:, or Login script, or local path. Not to sure which any more, pretty sure it is not the login script section, which just leaves the profile path. If it is somewhere else please let me know where and how to do this so that I can tell him the right way to do this. Thank you very much for the help in this matter.

2. viperben1

viperben1

it is local path where you select which drive letter you want.but if the workstation isnt a 2000 or XP machine this wont work. then you need to write a logon script that connects the drive to the shared location.

to do this type in a batch file

net use h: \\server\username\my documants

for example

good luck. if this isnt correct pleas email me on [email protected] as my server is down at the moment so i carnt check

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    If he's running Active Directory, his username should have a place where you can put the share path for the Home Directory.

For Example:
    \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME

If you put a $ at the end of the share name, it will also be invisible on the LAN. Also, make sure you're permissions are set correctly or it will not map.

4. perseous

perseous Thread Starter

He is using active directory. Where exactly do I put this path? I had him putting it in the AD users and computers then the user name then it listed three choices: Local path, profile path, and logon script. Which one is it?

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Under the profiles tab, it should be listed under home folder.

6. perseous

perseous Thread Starter

Wouldn't you have to also include the drive letter? Like: \\servername\driveletter\sharename\sharename depending on exactly where the file is in the directory structure. Cause I believe that he wants to put the home folders on a separate drive and partition.

7. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    It won't even let you enter the path without choosing a drive letter.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice