1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

home made data CD's won't read

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weeGeordie, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weeGeordie

weeGeordie Thread Starter

I've been given an older PC which I am trying to setup for my daughter to use on my home network. The PC is running Win98se.

I burned a CD with AIDA32 on it to install so I could get a hardware configuration of the system. When I load the CD the system tells me it's an audio CD, (it works fine as a data CD on my system).

I tried a couple of commercial software CD's and they are recognized as data CD's.

All of my homemade CD's have the same problem.

I burned them on an HP cd-writer 9500 series using the HP CD-Writer software that came with the drive.

Any ideas why my CD's show as audio only?

2. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

some old cd roms cant read burnt cds i think..

3. Annorax

Annorax

I agree, if the drive is older, it might not recognize burned CDs.

4. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

When the data cd shows up as a music cd, can you still right click on the drive letter and select Explore to show the contents of your CD Drive?

At what speed did you burn the cd?
    If you have at a speed higher than your old cd drives speed there is a possibility that it may act wierd. Burn at a lower speed, say 8x, for safe keeps. This will be slower but it should read.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If AIDA is the only thing on the CD , either burn it at 1x or zip it to diskette.

6. weeGeordie

If I open it the contents show as a single file with a file extension I don't recognize.

I'll try the speed thing. The CD in the older system is an 8x.

Thanks ...george

7. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I'm not familiar with the Hp writing software,but I have seen this many times,even with my own systems.
    True,many older ROMs can't read CD-R media,but this is only if they are in an "open session" state.An "open" state is when the CD-R is still available to be written to (files added,etc. within the same session).I suspect the file name you are seeing is for an open session and not a closed one.

I would put that CD-R back in your burner and check to see if the AIDA session can be "closed" in the burning software.This is usually an option at the end of a writing session.
    I bet that solves the problem of the older ROM reading it as a "Data" CD.
    I use Roxio's 'Easy CD' and it will allow me to "Close" a CD-R long after I am finished writing to it,as well as protect it from future writing sessions.Once you do that it is an unwritable disc,like one you would buy that any ROM should be able to read.

"Session" writing becomes further problems for people that burn multiple session music CDs and try to play them in their home/car stereos.Since that type of reader cannot see multiple sessions,they hear one song (or a couple in the first session) and then it stops without playing the whole disc.All it can see is the very first "closed" session.

8. weeGeordie

I'll give it a try but I'm certain I closed the CD when I burned it.

Also note that these CD's work fine as data CD's on other systems. It's just this one older system that's giving me problems.

9. DaveBurnett

On many older CD Roms the laser is too course to distinguish the signals from a CD-R

10. weeGeordie

Are you telling me I'm fersnickered if I want to read my own CD's on that drive?

11. DaveBurnett

Try a slow-burned one on a good quality make CD

12. weeGeordie

I found a web site that specializes in all things technical about CDR's, (http://www.cdrfaq.org/), and in it I found entry:

[4-37] I inserted a CD-ROM but Windows thinks it's an audio CD

In there it describes various scenarios with this symptom. There does not appear to be any commonality so, considering what I am trying to achieve, I'll focus on connecting the system to my LAN and getting software through the network.

Thanks for your time and efforts. ...weeG

13. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

I agree with GwizJoe. The Open Session is not read by many old drives. Some drives may show one session and others will show another.
    Depends if the session has been closed or if the CD R had other data on it which was not closed and AIDA was written onto this without "continuing the multi session"

~Gg~

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice