1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network 3 Computers Win7 / XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by OldCodger, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OldCodger

OldCodger Thread Starter

NETWORKING PROBLEM
    I have a networking problem that I do not understand and have been unable to resolve. It concerns 3 computers on “HOMENET”:
    OfficeMain runs Windows 7.
    OfficeSecond runs Windows 7.
    Laptop runs Windows XP SP3.
    OfficeMain can “see”, but not access, OfficeSecond and cannot “see” Laptop. Attempts to access OfficeSecond from OfficeMain give “The specified network provider name is invalid”.

OfficeSecond can “see” and access both OfficeMain and Laptop. However, it has “read only” access to OfficeMain files.
    Laptop can “see” and access both OfficeMain and OfficeSecond. Laptop has read/write access to OfficeMain files.
    The network map on OfficeMain shows both OfficeMain and OfficeSecond, but neither can be accessed by double clicking the icons. This returns “The specified network provider name is invalid”.
    The network map on OfficeSecond shows OfficeMain, OfficeSecond and Laptop, but only OfficeSecond and Laptop can be accessed by double clicking the icons.
    “HomeGroup” can be created as a “one-off”, but only on OfficeMain which can “see” but not access shared libraries. Restarting Main or Second sometimes loses HomeGroup connectivity.
    Help! And please tell me any additional information / actions required.
    Thanks

OfficeMain data (AV temporarily disabled for fault finding)
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3015 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1283 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 228813 MB, Free - 50051 MB; D: Total - 229591 MB, Free - 209010 MB; H: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 122360 MB; S: Total - 8064 MB, Free - 6596 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire X3990
    Antvirus: PC Tools Internet Security Anti-Virus, Disabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Each PC is connected to the router by only one connection, right?

Firewalls can cause mischief (especially when "disabled" or "turned off"); list of Removal Tools here if you want to banish them temporarily.

This "smells" to me like something we can troubleshoot for several days and discover that it is an unexplained router problem. Make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it. Any changes?

3. OldCodger

OldCodger Thread Starter

Dear Terry. I have disabled all other connections physically and removed wifi except that remaining router is also wifi capable, but disabled. Router was ISP supplied and has warning not to update firmware unless specifically advised by ISP. Router reset to Defaults as advised. AV Software is PC Tools Internet Security and this was unistalled without changing or resolving the problems. Since re-installed. OfficeMain has now lost its folder shares and these cannot be reinstated (probably because no network location is now shown for them). OfficeMain can still see OfficeSecond networked folders and Homegroup, but cannot open them. OfficeSecond can no longer see or access OfficeMain (No shared folders any longer) and does not recognise that OfficeMain is available on HomeGroup. Laptop now seems to have lost all connectivity with OfficeMain but does still appear on OfficeSecond network map. OfficeSecond not always consistent in showing what is available on network after restarting. Screenshots show view from OfficeMain. Will advise if anything develops in subsequent re-starts. Grateful for your help to try and turn this around.

4. OldCodger

OldCodger Thread Starter

After many hours struggle have failed to make significant progress. Tried to work-around by creating wireless network, but eventually got back to the same point that main computer cannot access any files on second computer (although I did achieve 2-way link from second to main computer). Am now at loss howto proceed.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know it sounds like a cop-out--just throw money at the problem--but I've struggled with other threads with similar symptoms and given up and then the Thread Starter posts, "hey, I replaced the router and everything is great now."

I would try another router.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice