1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network - all pc's can't access all shared folders

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tidalcloud, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Thread Starter

Hi all,

OK. Here is the setup.

PC A is in my office running XP Home. My office also contains the Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router to which my cable modem and the other PCs are connected. I have a copy of Zone Alarm running on my pc with my nic card in the trusted zone.

PC B is in my wife's office also running XP Home. She is connected to the network and the internet via her connection to the router. She also runs Zone Alarm with her nic card in the trusted zone.

PC C is in another bedroom running Windows 98 SE. The Microsoft Networking program had been run on it. No Zone Alarm here is this pc is being used for internet access and for backups.

All three PCs can see each other on the network. PC A can see and access the shared folders on PC B. It can only see the shared folders on PC C but cannot access them. PCs B & C can only see the shared folders on the others - cannot access them. Attempts to access the shared folders where I indicate it's not working generates this error: Cannot copy 'example file: Network access is denied. Be sure you have the correct network permissions to perform this operation."

All was working fine until a few weeks ago when I had to move the contents of a failing hard drive to a new one using the hard drive mfg's software. Everything else funtions properly.

Thoughts?

2. marklab

marklab

Make sure you have the same usernames and passwords set up on both XP computers. Try turning off zonealarm on both systems and see if that helps. Check that you have the same network protocols installed on all 3 computers. Make sure all 3 computers are in the same workgroup.

3. Tidalcloud

Thank you. Oddly I also noticed that when I reboot most of the ip addresses in ZoneAlarm's trusted zone are no longer there and I have to add them again.

By the way ... if we weren't all in the same workgroup I shouldn't be able to see the other PCs. I can see them and I can actually use the shared folder on one of them. Just can't use the other and they can see me but can't use my shared folder.

4. Tidalcloud

Eureka! As it turns out it was the installation of Acronis TrueImage 6.0 (excellent imaging software by the way) that messed with my network. Here is an excerpt from their FAQ:

Why am I not able to access shared drives and folders after installing Acronis True Image 6.0?

After installing Acronis True Image 6.0 in Windows NT / 2000 / XP, you see the error message "Not enough server storage is available to process this command," or "Not enough memory to complete transaction. Close some applications and retry." Clients cannot access network shares.

The fix took less than a minute. Users of Acronis can find the answer here: Acronis

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/108883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice