Home network computer accessability and printing issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

barebear

I have 2 computers running XP Pro in a workgroup on a home network behind a Linksys BEFSR41 router.

I am the only person who uses or has access to them.

The first computer I set the network up on has 3 separate hard drives and a USB printer; the second has 1 hard drive with 2 partitions.

I used the Network Setup Wizard to set up both computers and then turned off the Windows firewall because I'm behind the router and have extensive antivirus and malware protections enabled

I can reboot the first computer and never have any trouble accessing the second from My Network Places.

After rebooting the second computer and when I open My Network Places and click on any icon for the first computer, a box named "Connect to....." opens and asks for a user name and password. After I enter my name and
click OK, I can access the first computer with no problem other than as follows:

Accessing the printer from the second computer is another story...
The printer icon in Control Panel on the second computer has the same network symbol characteristics as the icons in My Network Places, and is checked as default printer ( there is no other printer installed ). When right
clicked, the Sharing and Security tabs show sharing enabled and full permissions for the listed user groups.

When I right click on anything in the second computer including Notepad and PDF formats and try to print, a box appears with the message " Be sure your printer is connected properly and use Control Panel to verify that the printer is configured properly. "

Please tell me how to do the following:

1. Permanently eliminate having the username/password box ( or any other security dialogue ) appear before being able to access the first computer from the second.

2. Permanently resolve the issue of printer inaccessability from the second computer. Right now, even when I can access the drives on the first computer, I have to use the printer cd in the second computer to completely uninstall/reinstall before being able to print from the second computer. And, anytime I reboot the second computer, I have to go through the whole uninstall/reinstall procedure again before being able to print from it.

Your assistance is greatly looked forward to and appreciated!

Moderator ---Please advise if this should have been posted in another forum and transfer it there for me if applicable

TerryNet

Terry
1. Have identical user account and password (not null or blank) on both machines; or use Simple File Sharing (SFS).

2. No idea. Maybe (1) above will help.

barebear

Sorry to take so long replying--work issues.
Got it fixed--enabled simple file sharing and automatically search for network printers and folders, ran the add a printer. That showed the printer installed and default, but it still wouldn't print from the second computer ---had to delete it, rebooted second computer and ran the HP reinstall cd; that finally did the trick!

When you say "ran the HP reinstall cd;" are you referring to HP Recovery CD for the Operating System or HP Printer CD?

I know your issue is resolved but my friend's isn't and that is why I asked.
Thank You!

barebear

Hi Walkeriam,

Is your friends issue the same as mine was i.e. not being able to print from a second computer on a home network where the printer is connected to the first computer and both computers are running XP ?

If so, and presuming there's no other HP equipment installed on the second computer, the following procedures are what worked for me.

Start by making sure that file/printer sharing is totally enabled on both computers and verify that files/folders can be sent back and forth between the computers w/ no issues.

Then, on the computer the printer is NOT attached to, use a tool ( JV16 Powertools is by far the best utility out there that I know of for this sort of thing --- finding ALL specific registry references at the same time ) and search for all references to HP, Deskjet and/or other applicable printer references. W/ JV16, you can use its Registry Finder, enter 1 search term like HP or Deskjet, or... on individual lines, and search for all of them at once.
Delete all found references and redo the procedure to be sure you've got EVERYTHING (every registry reference to the printer installed on the first computer) out--otherwise the following won't work.

( Note: don't even think about using the Windows registry finder --it finds only 1 reference at a time and you easily can have hundreds of references because of having repeatedly tried to install the printer. I don't know of any tool (though it/they may exist) other than JV16 Powertools that will find multiple registry references for multiple terms simultaneously ---- and that ability is ESSENTIAL to do a complete cleaning of all old references to the printer. )

Then, open My Network Places on the computer the printer is NOT attached to, double click on the icon for the first computer (where printer is attached), and if you've properly enabled file/printer sharing, you'll see an icon for the printer as being shared. Double click it, and the printer drivers should automatically install on the second computer. If the cleaning procedure was done properly, you should now have no problem printing from the second computer.

Be sure to post back and let me know whether this solves your problem; if it doesn't, PM me with a way for me to reach you by phone--it takes me too long to type all this out ( I'm a 2 finger hunt/peck typist). If you don't want to go that route, PM me and I'll send you my number and times that I should be available.

Best regards, Barebear

My friend said his hard drive crashed on his second networked computer and after he installed the new HD and OS it would see the printer connected to the first computer but would not print to it. Both computers are running Windows XP. I'll have him try your suggestion and post back. Thank You!

barebear

Walkeriam,

Will wait to hear from you; are his computers HP systems, or does he just have an HP printer ?

Best, barebear

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online