Home Network Config

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CyBerAliEn

Right now my network is currently setup like this:

Highspeed cable connection comes into house and directly connects to external LinkSys modem (BEFCMU10). This then directly connects into my 4 port LinkSys router (BEFSR41). I then have a total of 4 computers which connect into it. Computer #1 has 192mb RAM, 60gb HD, 450mhz, network card, Windows XP Home, etc. Computer #2 (one I am on right now) has 1.5ghz, 512mb RAM, 40gb HD, net card, Windows XP Home. Computer #3 has 512mb RAM, 80gb HD, 2000 AMD XP Athlon (however AMD does it), net card, Windows XP Professional, etc. Computer #4 (laptop) has 512mb RAM, 40gb HD, 2.5ghz, net card, Windows XP Home, etc.

With that said showing how my network is setup and the computers connect to it, here is my question:

I do A LOT of work at home and a lot of it involves transferring data and documents, thus I need "adequate" internet speeds. I have consulted several "professionals" in the matter, but I do not feel these people know that much about what they are talking about.

What I want to do is this: I want the ability, for example, to limit the internet speeds of Computer #1 and #3 to 600kbs, and limit their LAN (network) speeds to 100mbs (as it is). But I then want to limit my other computers to have the max limit on my internet connection and my LAN.

My internet connection is 1mbs to 5mbs. Unfortunately someone is always using my Family computer (#1 #3) to play internet games, download large files, etc. Basically someone (kids, relatives, etc) is always using in some way and taking a lot of my bandwidth, when I need adequate enough speeds to keep things going for my work and so I get stuff done, but it is hard when your cable internet is pulling speeds less than a 56k modem because someone else is using one computer to play some online game and another is download some new 100mb, 200mb, etc file.

It was suggested to me that a "switch" would solve the problem, but as I believe, my router is also a switch. In anyway, how can I do what I want to do? I am open to all suggestions, but spending a lot more money is sort of out of the question because I have already spent enough on my home network to get all the wiring done and such. So is there some sort of a program or hardware or such that I need to get that will allow me to "configure" my router or such to be configured however I want?

Thanks!

I think you are right about your "professionals". A switch would not get you any closer to your goal of bandwidth throttling which is what you are trying to do. Unless your router has the ability to limit transmit and receive size you are pretty muc out of luck. I have heard of Linux boxes being able to do throttling, but I am not sure of the name of the software. There might also be firewall solutions that will limit bandwidth to specific users.

I agree. Throuteling is not something you do without costs and is unlikely to be supported from your Router.

I considered for a momet moving you to connection sharing and transfering #1 and #3 via your #2 that will be a main PC for the sharing but MS Internet Sharing doesn't suport throteling as well (maybe this will give someone a bright idea...)

Does anyone know an Internet sharing applicaiton with throteling support that this guy can use?

(must admit that I hate this option since your other PCs will not need to connect to the Internet via your own and also you will need to reconfigure your Router etc. to get the DHCP off the #2 comp. and so on... SO it is a lousy solution but may work if someone here can suggest a SW to do it...

(I hope I give some slim hope for the new year...) :cool:

CyBerAliEn

This is of course not something that I 100% need, but it is a pain to battle over my internet connection. It seems odd how something so simple in concept is so hard to implement.

My router has a built in hardware firewall, and of course it features a way to configure the router via "HTML" by going to the router's IP address. Unfortunately, there are no options available about any sizes (sending, receiving) or even anything about bandwidth.

Still wanting some help of course. I must also say that I am not too thrilled about "rearranging" my network.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think for real bandwidth limiting, you're going to have to use something like a proxy server, some of them have that capability.

CyBerAliEn

What exactly would a Proxy server require of me?

I personally have no interest into going with a Proxy server, as generally, I hear a lot of problems or things not setup/working right with a proxy server, and I do not really want to go down that road, and I am sure that will require rearranging my network (it is hard to rearrange wires inside your walls, and I do not plan to spend anything more on my network).

HI cyberalien
I was reading the post and replys here and an idea just struck me ...

I my area here the cable company offers 3 different type of internet connections .....I cant remember all the speeds but there is one designed for bussiness and ppl that are doing alot of large file transfers and the like.....might be something to look into

just a thought

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can't imagine having to rearrange your network, at least the wiring. Since all the cables are "home runs" to the router and hub, what you're looking at is a single point to control the throughput.

Of course, my solution to this issue would be to simply turn off the abusers when they start to impact my business! I'm fortunate that I don't have that situation, and the other users of my Internet bandwidth here are minimal.

The real solution to this problem is probably a real server O/S, I see a number of references to bandwidth limiting per client for Linux environments...

CyBerAliEn

Yes, as some of those "professionals" stated, if I had a server that all my computers would go through for the internet, I would be able to do such bandwidth throttling and other advanced features simply through "ordinary" programs, although this was not limited to just Linux as I was told, so I assume such a thing could be achieved through even Windows.

The main problem with that (although I somewhat like the idea of a new OS to fool around with a server), I do not really want to buy a computer to run as a server that I will probably additionally use at the most as file dumping station by putting a large HD in it. I also do not want to do this to my desktop PC or my laptop, and I do not want to change any of my other 2 computers to a server (there are reasons why I have 4, and not just 2, 3, etc). If I did this, I would also assume that the network setup would have to change somewhat in terms of the router, where what cable connect to what port/computer, etc.

Is there any simple solution? As you know, LinkSys has a simple configuration thing via any internet browser by going to the routers IP address (you enter the password, and you can then change the settings for the router). Is there not some sort of network hardware out there has the ability of me being able to do the exact same thing, but it would have the option of specifying different computers on my network and the speeds they can achieve? I am sure the router "knows" the difference between internet and LAN traffic and where it was from and where it is going, thus I find it in concept hard to believe that this does not exist. If your holding out on me because this kind of "router combo hardware" costs money, I would atleast like to know about it. Only thing is that it would need to do that and still have the abilities and features and security protection that my current router features (that way it is as simple as taking my router out of the network picture and instead plugging everything else into the new thing).

Unfortunately, I do not feel that the above exists yet (anyone who is trying to make money off ideas is free to take it and get it on store shelves ASAP).

Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Sad to say, I don't think you're going to do this without having something besides a broadband router doing the control. You are correct on the point about Windows, I'm told that MS Proxy will also do bandwidth limiting, though I've never used it myself. The only way I see to have bandwidth limiting is to have a server of some sort doing the network control.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online