1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network configuration question (2 sub networks)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nnahrino, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nnahrino

Nnahrino Thread Starter

Hey,

I am trying to re-configure my home network to allow for a secure and normal (not to secure) networks, that will not be aware of each other but will both connect through to the same router for Internet access.

Basically I want one network that will be used only for Online banking, other important transactions and store important data and another which will be used for random web browsing,web mail, games etc that are more likely to get Spyware or Viruses.

The two networks will only have a few computers/laptops on each network and obviously as this is for home I want to know if this is feasible without spending huge amounts of money. If anyone sees any problems with my thinking or has any advice please let me know.

Am I correct in thinking that all I need is 3 routers?
    1. Wireless ADSL Router connected to phone line that receives Internet.
    2. The secure network router that connects to 1 and several computers.
    3. The standard network router that connects to 1 and several computers.

2 and 3 would each have a separate wireless SSID and workgroup and use DHCP within different ranges to allocate IP's to the various computers.

Is there anything specific that I would need to do to the routers configuration to get them to work?
    would the ADSL router need DHCP as well?
    Will I need to configure different subnet masks?

Any help regarding this is much appreciated.

Regards,

Nnahrino

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

That will work. The secondary routers need to have a different subnet from the primary router. It doesn't matter if the two secondary routers use the same subnet.

Not sure how you are using the word "secure." I would advise WPA-PSK (or WPA2) on both wireless networks.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, two routers will work for this scenario.

The first one that connects directly to the Internet connection and is the "standard" network connection.

The "secure" router WAN port is connected to a LAN port on the "standard" router and allows for "secure" connections and separation from the "standard" network.

No reason to have three routers that I can see.

4. Nnahrino

Nnahrino Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729293