1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raybro, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I'm visiting my daughter who has a home network with multiple computers all using wireless connection. While here, I connect to it and enjoy the high speed connection (I'm on dial-up at my home :( ).

Here is my question... When I enable the wireless connection on my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, the connection works just fine, but the status stays at "Acquiring network address" (see screen shot 1). Just fooling around, I found if I enable the LAN connection, the wireless connection immediately switches to "Connected" (see screen shot 2). I can then disable the LAN connection and the wireless connection stays connected. The Gateway (Router) status is "Connected" in either case.

If anyone has any advice or insight regarding how to get the wireless to complete the acquisition process without activating the LAN connection, I'd like to know it.

BTW... Wireless connection is via Dell WLAN card. Router is a Belkin 802.11. Signal strength is 4 bars (high).

Raybro

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've never heard of that happening. Your first screen shot shows that the wireless already has an IP address. To satisfy my curiosity, does that bottom left show a complete configuration before you enable the LAN?

What happens if you leave the wireless connection enabled all the time, and switch off the wireless when you are not using it, and then just switch the wireless on? Does it connect then, or do you still have to go into Network Connections and do the little dance with the LAN connection?

P.S.--the wireless on a Dell can usually be toggled on and off with the Fn + F2 key combination.

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for responding TerryNet... Please clarify why you say the first screen shot indicates it already has an IP address.

In the highlighted area (wireless network connection), it clearly says "Acquiring network address", which is the condition I posted about. The second screen shot is after enabling the LAN connection, then disabling it after the wireless connection acquisition is accomplished.

Good tip on the Fn+F2 thing. If I use that and cycle through off - on, the wireless is again in the acquisition status. If I enable the LAN and the wireless is "connected", leave the LAN enabled, then cycle the Fn+F2 off - on sequence, the wireless connection again stays in acquisition status until I disable/enable the LAN connection. Hope that is clear and understandable.

Raybro

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See attachment.

Yes. Your description is very clear and understandable. But I have no clue why it's happening or how to fix. Guess I would install (or reinstall) the latest wireless driver from Dell's web site, but that's just kinda an automatic response with little expectation of being a solution.

Attached Files:

5. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

OK, understand now your reference to the lower left corner... Didn't get that first time around.

Not surprising though because, as I said, even though the"acquiring network address" is displayed, I can still connect to the internet. As a side note, the wireless icon in the systray (a single monitor screen image) has a little animated yellow dot moving back and forth under it and hovering the mouse cursor pops up a message that also says "acquiring network address".

This condition causes no practical problem, just curious as to how it happens and what, if anything, can be done about it.

Anyone else have anything to contribute??? Any and all opinions/guesses/requests for info are respectfully solicited.

Raybro

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you using the Dell WLAN utillity or XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) to manage the connection? And, is the other one running? If multiple wireless utilities are running they can conflict and give various problems. Maybe what you are seeing is just one more of the seemingly endless symptoms of their battles for control of the adapter.

7. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Forgot to mention, I checked the Dell site for WLAN Card drivers and downloaded the latest version its 4.60.18.9 Dated 3/23/2007. My current installed driver is v4.10.40.0 Dated 11/02/2005. Perhaps updating the driver would be a good thing. Opinions??

Raybro

8. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Using the Dell 1390 WLAN mini-card. The few times I have tried use the windows utility, I got the message it was not controlling the wireless connection. I assumed this to indicates the Dell WLAN card was in control. How can I verify that.

Raybro

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You just did: "... tried use the windows utility, I got the message it was not controlling ...". :)

For sure. In the extremely unlikely case that it makes things worse you can rollback the driver.

10. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Yeah, I knew that. Just wondered what you thought about doing so. I suppose it can't hurt.

I'll let you know what happens. Probably do it in the morning when the old gray matter is functioning a bit better than it is now. Thank God for spell check.

Raybro

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice