1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network Connection Sharing and Parental Controls

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thinds, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thinds

thinds Thread Starter

I'm stumped. I want to set up my home network (5 PC's on an ethernet hub; 4 PC's running Win98 and 1 running W2K) to use one machine to share a dialup internet connection as a gateway router for the other 4 and also provide parental controls (preferably at the connection-sharing machine). I can do the connection sharing with SolidShare (which works perfectly and transparently). I can do the parental controls with Norton Internet Security, though it works at the client and not at the connection-sharing server. The trouble is that I can't do both. NID hoses SolidShare, which the SolidShare support folks acknowledge and don't plan to change.<p>
    What I'd like to find out is whether anybody knows of a compatible pair of packages: 1 for connection sharing and 1 for parental controls. Essentially what I want to do is turn the sharing machine into a firewall with connection-sharing and parental control capabilities. If I had to do parental controls at the clients, I could, though it would be better at the server. NIS's parental controls are very flexible and easy to set up, but I need something that works with connection sharing.<p>
    Please don't suggest Windows 98 Internet Connection Sharing, since ICS is ugly on Win98 - hard to set up and not transparent for the clients. If you tell me ICS is a lot better on W2K, I guess might be able to use it.<p>
    Any suggestions you could make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice