1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network connectivity issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Paulsen, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paulsen

Paulsen Thread Starter

To begin with, I want to apologize for such a long post. I'm get trying to give as much relevant information as possible to figure out a problem with my network that seems to baffle me and I'm hoping someone here might be able to share some insight on what I'm doing wrong.

Here is the setup at my house:

Garage:

Cable modem that is connected to a Linksys E3000 router running stock firmware. IP of the router is set to default 192.168.1.1 and its IP range is from 100 to 199. All other settings set to default other than the SSID and WEP key. From the router, I have four ethernet cables going through the walls to connect the router to 3 bedrooms and the living room.

Bedroom 1 setup:

Cable from the wall to a hub that connects a Windows 7 PC and an Xbox 360.

Bedroom 2 setup:

Cable from the wall to a switch that connects a Windows 7 PC, an Xbox 360, and a print server.

Bedroom 3 setup:

Cable from the wall to a Netgear WGR614v9 router. The router has DHCP turned off and an IP of 192.168.1.2. SSID and WEP are also different from the Linksys router. This router is primarily used as an access point inside the house since the one in the garage has a weak signal upstairs. A Windows 7 computer is connected via ethernet to the router as well. Devices that connect wirelessly to the router include a Windows XP work laptop, an Ipod touch, a couple of Android phones, and any devices any friends bring along.

Living room setup:

Cable from the wall to a switch which connects a TV, AV preamp, Xbox 360, a Nintendo Wii, and a Synology NAS used as a media server.

Now here is the problem. When I connect all of these devices and have the automatic settings turned on (by that I mean the computers, xbox consoles and such are set to automatically obtain IP addresses from the router) I have trouble keeping devices connected to the internet. If I manage to get all of the devices connected, they might randomly lose the connection to the internet and not reconnect unless I unplug everything from the Linksys router and reboot the modem and replug everything back in one at a time. If I power down a device that's connected to the internet and reboot it, it likely won't be able to connect once it's on. It doesn't matter whether the device is wired or wireless, it gives the same problem. In addition, the device will usually still show that it's connected to the network, just not the internet

To get around this, I've taken all the devices that I can turn off the auto configuration and set the IP, gateway, subnet, and DNS manually. Once I do that, all of those components I set manually work flawlessly. Normally I would call it good and leave well enough alone. Unfortunately, I can't manually set some items like my Ipod touch or my work laptop where the settings are locked and I'm not given administrative access to change them. So now I'm back at square one. I've ruled out a faulty Linksys router as I've changed the garage router out with another Linksys as well as tried a Netgear and Belkin router. The other three routers give the same problem as the first. I don't think this is caused by the Netgear router in the bedroom as the problem affects everything and not just devices connected to it.

With that said, can anyone help me out and tell me what I need to do to get this to work. If this problem has been covered before, feel free to link me to the thread and call me a moron. Most of the threads I saw weren't quite like this.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be a DNS issue- I assume you are also manually setting the DNS
    try keeping the IP automatic - but change the DNS to use google open DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - see details below on how to set

Now if that works - you can set the DNS up in the router and that way leave all device to automatic IP and DNS

to check to see if that is the case - do the PING tests listed below when its all working and then repeat all the tests when it disconnects

Then it may be worth looking at the wireless environment and just make sure no channels interfere, channel 1,6,11 do not overlap each other - see diagram

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Google public DNS

Google public DNS
    http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Theres also a link on how to setup those DNS IP address
    http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Ping Tests
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
    Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
    Post back the results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
    post back results
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Attached Files:

3. Paulsen

Paulsen Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice etaf. I was sort of thinking it was a dns issue myself but wasn't sure on how to fix that. This is the first time I have heard of Google Open DNS. On my day off, I'll try turning everything back to auto and giving it a shot.

Thanks again!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    there are a lot of other public DNS servers
    what was you using when you manually set up the IP / DNS settings

5. Paulsen

Paulsen Thread Starter

On the computers that were able to connect, I did an IP config /all and it listed 24.124.0.193 and 24.124.0.194 as the primary and secondary DNS so I simply used those as my static DNS with all of the computers.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    That set of IPs are for
    Organization: Sunflower Cablevision
    State/Region: Kansas
    City: Lawrence
    which is the same as your IP - so thats your company

try using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - in case theres issues with that company connection

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice