Home Network Control

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnrebus

Hi
Our household computing equipment has grown tremendously over past year to 1 Laptop 3 Desktops (all window 7) 2 Printers 1 tablet 1 Squeezebox 1 Kindle e-reader 2 Samsung phones.

These are all connected to our Fritz Box router.

As fairly reluctant network and systems administrator for the household I have been trying to find some good simple to use software tools to help manage the above. So far in vain. Several sites have pointed to Spiceworks but I have found it unbelievably complicated to use - which could be because I am a bit dim but I am all we have got.

Does anybody know of any products - they dont have to be free but nice if they are - that can help manage the home network.

etaf

Wayne
what are you expecting to be able to do with the software ?
i dont know of any - but it would help others here , if they new what you expected to manage ?
on the network

johnrebus

Etaf
A fair question. I would like to manage connectivity especially transfer of data from device to another and to printers which attached - I find the home group facilities within windows 7 to be not intuitive and difficult to change. I would like to manage the different software that is installed on the various computers - different version /updating / rationalisng. I would also like to centrally control security (this is probably impossible). Oh and backup and synching as well. I want to have to a comprehensive easy to understand overview of what is going on.

I am surprised that software doesn't exist to manage home networks I would have thought that there is a crying need for it. Do any routers provide anything worth having?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online