1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network file sharing help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mgbgtgrimm, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mgbgtgrimm

mgbgtgrimm Thread Starter

I have a host computer in my home office and (clients) an old computer in basement and new laptop in family room. They all have an icon in MY COMPUTER that says shared with each other. All now running WinXP. In the archive I found a posting that directed me to some sites which all advised to right click the file I want to share and click the boxes which say to share files with any network users. However, when I go on my laptop and click the icon for sharing with the host computer none of the folders I selected show up as being able to access. To make things simple "How do I make a folder on my HOST comptuer able to be accessed by my laptop or basement computers?
    Greg & Grimm

2. mgbgtgrimm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    Out at this web site IT STATES "Windows XP Home Edition-based computers always have Simple File Sharing enabled.
    WRONG!!! I have two computers with WinXP and neither one has the "Use Simple File Sharing" option listed in the dropdown menu accessed via My Computer, Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, and scroll down to Use simple file sharing (recommended)!
    The bottom option in my window is "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items".
    So, how do I get this option to appear in my view box???
    Greg & Grimm

3. mgbgtgrimm

Look, I'm a contributor because this forum has helped me before. I would like to contribute again but I need some HELP!!! I know my problem with file sharing is boring for geeks but it is important for me and grimm, so if you could find the time in your heart to help us it would be appreciated. Greg & Grimm

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I have two computers with WinXP and neither one has the "Use Simple File Sharing" option listed ..."

This one is easy, mgbgtgrimm, and I love easy ones. XP Home uses only Simple File Sharing; it is NOT an option.
    -------------------------------

"... icon in MY COMPUTER that says shared with each other"

I don't understand. Do you possibly mean the Shared Documents folder?
    ---------------------------------

It's true that you can designate folders (and files in XP Pro without Simple File Sharing) as shared or not, but you have to have a network of some type (ethernet, wireless, etc.) that links the computers together and then you have to set up your computers for file and printer sharing.

If you have a network, and haven't configured your computers for file and printer sharing, I advise:

On each machine run the Network Setup Wizard (can be found in Control Panel). Tell it that computer gets internet from "residential gateway" if you are sharing internet via a router, enable file and printer sharing. Windows XP firewall will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Computers must have unique names but same Workgroup.

The Shared Documents folder will be shared automatically. For any other folder you want to share, right click on it and choose 'sharing ...'. You can optionally give write permission.

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

As hinted in the previous paragraph, after the workgroup stabilizes and works 100%, when you go to My Network Places you will see all the shares on your network. And View Workgroup Computers will show you the computers on the network. You can work in that window the same as in any other Windows folder window.

Hope this helps you some.
    Terry

5. mgbgtgrimm

Terry, thanks for the directions. My WinME hard drive died down dead (only 6yr old) so I had a new hard drive installed and WinXP PRO installed and it has the "Simple File Sharing". I have gone thru all the sequences and I am now up and running with file share between the 2 WinXP Home and WinXP PRO computers. So alls well that ends well. Thanks again for your help! Greg & Grimm

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/408152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice