1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network help needed :(

Discussion in 'Networking' started by taint, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taint

taint Thread Starter

The computer I am using right now is windows xp sp2. The only way for me to access the internet is to connect directly to this computer. I have the linksys wireless-g 2.4ghz 802.11g with speedbooster broadband router. If i connect this computer to the router and try to get internet access I cannot. There are 3 other computers in the house that need internet also. One of them is a desktop with xp sp1 which I instaled the pci adapter into. The other two computers are laptops with wireless network cards already in them. The one laptop is xp sp1 the other is xp sp2. All of the computers used to be able to connect to the internet, but earlier today I was messing with one of the laptops and that laptop couldn't connect to the internet anymore. Then I messed with the main desktop which is directly connected to the internet to try to fix the laptop problem, only to ruin the network for all the computers. I need help.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Some more detailed information regarding "messed with" would be helpful.

Maybe an analogy will help. Would you drop off your car at a repair shop and just say you were messing with it, now it doesn't work and then expect them to fix it, know what is wrong or even where to start.

Just give a little more of a hint. Were you messing with network settings? If so, which ones. Do any computer work. If so what are the differences like IP addresses, subnet masks, dns and gateway IP addresses (start / run / ipconfig /all)

3. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    Ok, I'll jump in with a couple of things to check. Shut everything down and bring it back up - not sure the order, but maybe try internet modem, router, computer. Get the one directly connected to the router first going then worry about the others.

Also, you may have set up your router to broadcast a specific ip range. Check to see what ip address your computer is using - one way to do this is "start, run, winipcfg". Oh, poo, this may not work on xp. But I googled it real quick and apparently there's an nt version of that nifty little app at microsoft. This site tells you how to get it: http://www.activewin.com/tips/tips/microsoft/winxp/basic/23.shtml. Maybe someone here can give an easier way to check to see what ip address you are being assigned by the router. In windows98 with winipcfg you could acutally pick your network adapter and see the ip address it was assigned by the router, and tell it to "release all" and refresh it. Sometimes if there's a network access problem, this fixes it.

I'm mentioning this because in our office we had a problem with the linksys wireless router we tacked onto our peer-to-peer network broadcasting a goofy ip address range. We sometimes have to unplug and plug it back in to get it to pick up the right one.

Have you checked for viruses and malware? Perhaps something is causing denial of internet access. :(

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You don't need the GUI NT version of WINIPCFG

One way to tell the IP address is noted earlier - (start / run / ipconfig /all)

Another is to right click on the Local Area Conection / Status / Support tab / Details button.

5. taint

taint Thread Starter

I have comcast. i did start / run / ipconfig /all

subnet mask is 255.255.252.0

default gateway is 68.50.80.1

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sorry but I should have made it

Start / run / cmd

Then IPCONFIG /ALL

===========

What are the differences when connected to the modem and router.
    Are there any other computers that work when connected to the router
    How is the modem and computer connected to the router
    How is the router configured
    Did it ever work
    If so, what has changed.

7. taint

taint Thread Starter

should i type out everything that is listed during ipconfig or do you have enough information to for a diagnosis for the problem?

8. BratDawg

BratDawg

First Name:
    Carla
    68.50.80.1 - that's an odd ip address. Do you have any information that came with your router where it says what the default is?

Can you access the router settings url?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As requested run IPCONFIG /ALL for when connected directly to the modem and to the router. In looking up 68.50.80.1, that is a comcast address so I assume you got it when directly connected to the cable modem.

Then post the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and dns entries.

Also please give details to the other requested information. Getting only a little bit at a time is going to make this a long slow process.

You might also try turning off the cable mode, router and computer. Turn on the cable modem and wait a minute or so. Turn on the router and wait another minute or so. Then turn on the computer.

10. taint

taint Thread Starter

thanks for the help. the problem was fixed pretty much by just turning off the router, cable modem, and computer off completely and then resetting.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Isn't that kinda like what was just recommended ;-)

Glad you got it working

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice