Home Network Internet Security Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hulapa

I'm pretty informed on computers but I'm new to networks.

I have a cable modem that goes to a router. I have 1 computer attached directly to the router with a cat5e cable and another cat5e cable goes from the router to a switch in another room where 2 computers are attached to the switch.

All three computers internet is working and I am try to now network all three computers using no server, for file and printer sharing. As I was setting this up using the networking tools provided by microsoft (standard on xp) I was prompted that If I selected file/printer sharing anyone from the internet could see my files and use my printer.

What do I do? (Picture of my network setup in the attachment below)

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Unless your router is unusual it has a firewall that prevents internet access to your computers. The only incoming traffic it allows is that which is initiated by your computers. Your computers' files are safe from internet attack (excluding, of course, what viruses, spyware and the like can do). Check your router's documentation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online