Home Network is driving me crazy! Need expert help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RosyM

I set up a home network between a desktop computer and 2 laptops
I have xp on them all and they connect through a Belkin router.
To set it up I ran the network wizard on all computers and added all the IP Address to Zone Alarm to let them in. I then shared a few folders I wanted.
I also set up printer sharing too
The network worked well for a couple of weeks
Then nothing would work and all the other computers folders disappeared in my network connections folder.
So I ran the network wizard again on all computers and it was fine
However today it has happened again
Any advice really welcome please
I am just a learner on this and was so proud when I 1st set it up
Now its driving me crazy :confused:

TerryNet

Terry
I'd guess that the most likely problem is Zone Alarm. Did you put the entire subnet (e.g., 192.168.2.0 through 192.168.2.255) into the trusted zone or just a few IP addresses? I suggest the former.

Let's try the following troubleshooting; pick one computer "A" and run the following on another computer "B." If the ping by IP address results in all packets lost, 99% probability that ZA is blocking.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

This may sound simple but I would try powercycling(tech term for unplug power then plug back in) the router.

To test, if they all have Internet access, then typically the router is not the problem. This is because they are going through the router to access the Internet.

RosyM

TerryNet said:
I'd guess that the most likely problem is Zone Alarm. Did you put the entire subnet (e.g., 192.168.2.0 through 192.168.2.255) into the trusted zone or just a few IP addresses? I suggest the former.

But what is a subnet? I added the ip addresss eg 192.168. 7.8 of the other computers into each one.
have tried plugging the router in and out
Internet access is working well on all the computers. but they are still not seeing each other

Just a quick thought from an amateur at this game, but....IF you gave ZA specific a list of IP addresses rather than the whole sub-net, then have you given your PCs /fixed/ IP addresses, or are you using the router as a DHCP server? If the latter, then perhaps because you are turning on your equipment in a different order than when you set up the network, the PCs are acquiring from DHCP different IP addresses from the ones which you listed in ZA.

RosyM

Please what is SUBNET? Lol I am totally lost
What I did was type cmd in the run box and then ipconfig on each computer
That found me each of the 3 IPAddresses
I then opened zone alarm - firewall tab - add tab - and added the IP Addresses of the other 2 pcs into each one
I ran the network wizard and the shared docs of each computer appeared in each My Network Places folder.
I right clicked a few folders to share ( didnt know how to do a whole drive lol) and I could see them on each pc
Also shared my printer
But then suddenly it all went
So I removed and re entered the IP Addresses and ran the network wizards again and it was ok
But now 2 weeks later its gone again
Am I doing something wrong? But if so why did it work well to start with?

to keep it simple for your home network the subnet is 192.168.X. X being the third number in the ip address of your router(default gateway) so for your entire subnet it would be 192.168.x.0-255, 1-254 are the assignable IP addresses. Have you tried just disabling the firewall if you do and it still doesnt work then its probably not the firewall

RosyM

Sorry you have lost me here
Make it simple please
Say my IP address for example are
192.168.1.1 for desktop pc
192.168.2.2 for one laptop
192.168.3,3 for the other one
Well I typed these in 1 by one in zone alarm on each computer
Can you explain to me if thats rioght or I need to do it differntly?
Sorry but want so much to do it myself instead of having to call in a pc man to come round.
But just getting lost.

>>>Say my IP address for example are

That would be your first problem, as 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x etc are different sub-nets. What you need is 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 etc - ie only the LAST number changes

Next question - do any other devices on your network other than the router also have IP addresses?

RosyM

You said --
>>>Say my IP address for example are

That would be your first problem, as 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x etc are different sub-nets. What you need is 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 etc - ie only the LAST number changes
Yes I know that it was just an example
they are for example
192.168. 1.3
and that is what I typed in Zone Alarm

Next question - do any other devices on your network other than the router also have IP addresses?

I have no other devices no only my NTLWORLD cable modem and dont know a thing about that lol

TerryNet

Terry
The subnet is the range of valid IP addresses on your network. With a Belkin router the default is probably 192.168.2.0 through 192.168.2.255

In post #2 I told how to determine your computer's IP address. They should all have the same first 3 numbers, and a different 4th. Eg., 192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.3, etc. Almost always your subnet will be the first 3 numbers with the 4th ranging from 0 through 255.

Also, can all computers access the Internet and what was the Gateway's IP address on each when you ran the IPCONFIG /ALL. That 192.168.1.1 seems a bit suspicious for a computer's IP. Usually that is reserved for the gateway (router).

To help make sure Zone Alarm isn't part of the problem, my suggestion would be to simply uninstall it on all computers until you have a working and stable network. You can add it in later.

Otherwise, if you don't want to do that, make sure all computers can at least ping all the other computers by both IP address and Name.

Reading back throuhg your messages, I note that you wrote:-
"I then opened zone alarm - firewall tab - add tab - and added the IP Addresses of the other 2 pcs into each one"
I am assuming by that statement that you mean that the IP Addresses which you added into ZA on each computer did NOT include the IP Address of the computer on which you were working at that time? In other words, in PC '1' you only added the addresses for PCs '2' and '3'. If so, then read on......

I have 2 PCs connected to a D-Link router. The router acts as a DHCP server - in simple terms, when you switch on a PC connected to a network it asks the router to give it an IP address. That address may NOT be the same on all occasions.

You have 3 PCs - let's call them A. B and C. If you turn them on and they connect to the LAN in the order A - B - C, then they may well get allocated addresses 192.169.2.1, .2 and .3 in that order. However, if on another occasion they connect in the order B - A - C, then the PC B which previously was given address 192.168.2.2 will now get the address 192.168.2.1. (because it was first in the queue to ask for an address) and address .2 will be given to PC A - but of course, as you did not list address .2 in ZA in PC B, then A will no longer be able to access it.

IF that is the problem - and I'm not saying that it is - then the solution is simply to list ALL THREE addresses in ZA on all the PCs. Then it does not matter which one gets which address from DHCP.

I hope that's clear ? :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!