1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network mixing wired/wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by STORMYDOG, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STORMYDOG

STORMYDOG Thread Starter

I have sucessfully used the mix of wired/wireless network until the later Windows 10 updates. I was told Windows got rid of Homegroups. But I was always able to see my wired network and connect without this Homegroup ability. I feel you need to understand how I was and am now setup - please hear me out.

Last month my older wireless router just would not turn on anymore so I had another newer wireless router/repeater I used in my outside workshop as a repeater. I brought that newer wireless router into the house and used it to replace the old wireless. My problem is I cannot set up my wired desktop. I do not see it listed anymore.

Previously I had Comcast cable modem plugged into the wireless router and used one of the ports to connect to my 4-port wired router. This allowed my to use my wireless netbook to connect easily to my wired desktop. With this old setup the wired router had to have DCHP turned off since it was connected to wireless router. Worked fine until Windows update and replacing the wireless router messed me up.

I used to have the old wireless router close to the cable modem in the basement next to my structured media cabinet. I thought if I could move my new wireless router upstairs I could get even better wifi coverage than in basement. This would cause me to reverse my setup. The cable modem now plugs into the wired 4-port (like I originally did when house was built - no wireless yet). I discovered I can hook up my new wireless to one of the ports on the wired router, and another port goes to my wired desktop.

With this setup I cannot connect or see my wired desktop from my wireless netbook.

Is this a correct hookup?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Any chance you could provide some kind of drawings of the original and current configurations, as the verbal descriptions are a bit confusing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice