1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network moves a 725 meg file in 9 minutes. Why so slow?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dlbeck, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

I have a Linksys Wireless B router. I have two computers hardwired into the router and not using wireless. Last month when I copied my Outlook file from one to the other it seemed like it took about 1 minute. The size has hardly changed but now it is taking over 9 minutes which is slightly over a meg per second. I realize it is unrealistic to expect 100 mbps for a hardwired connection but does anyone have any idea why it is so slow?

2. CagedFury

CagedFury

Strictly looking at the numbers, it looks like rather than sailing through at 100MB/sec the data is moving at about 10MB/sec. Any chance your NIC is set to auto negotiate the data rate and it's falling back to the lower bit rate?

Another possibility (although remote) is that your system is set to auto negotiate the bit rate and for some reason the cabling isn't up to spec.

You might try checking the cabling and configuration on the network adapter.

3. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

the nic is set to auto negotiate. I know a month ago this was faster.

4. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

Doing the math the data is moving at about 1.3 mb/sec. For a hardwired connetion that's pretty pathetic.

5. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

I might be missing something here but network speeds are in "bits" per second not bytes per second so your transfer speed sounds about right.

6. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

hmmmmm. ok. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree then. I guess 9 minutes to move a 725 meg file is normal. My bad.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No, 540 seconds to move a 725 meg file puts the rate at 1.33mb/sec, which is about 1/5 the speed that files normally move over my 100mbit links. Something appears amiss...

8. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. It's not the end of the world but if you have some ideas I would welcome them.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It sounds like you may be running at 10mbit for some reason, hard to say why. First thing to check is the cables and the hub/switch that connects the compters. FYI, you should expect close to 100mbit for a wired connection, I get transfer speeds of 8-9mbytes/sec for files between machines.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

This may not apply, but I had one Nic card that had an icon in the control panel and I could change it from full duplex to half duplex. john?

11. Rockn

Rockn

Some NICs will not run at full duplex if the BIOS is not set for PCI bus mastering. Another thing I have read was regarding the default wireless channel 6 being clogged with crosstalk from other wireless units in your area that are also using the default channel. Try changing channels and see if your speed improves.

12. amphibian

amphibian

The NIC has to support full duplex in order to operate at that speed.
    I believe it is pretty much a standard these days, although I could be wrong.
    I checked my computer, I went to device manager, selected the NIC and properties, then to Advanced Tab. Click on Media Type and a drop down box will appear on the right. It will give you Half-Duplex and full-Duplex options for 10mbps and 100mbps. Obviously you want 100mbps Full-Duplex. Make sure that the settings are the same on both machines.

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Thanks Rockn, I do believe I had to go 1/2 duplex to get it to work. I'll check the bios ;) Thanks my dear :)

14. amphibian

amphibian

I did not see an option within the BIOS to enable PCI Bus Mastering, guess my motherboard is not capable?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice