1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network no hub or router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by onely, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onely

onely Thread Starter

I was told that I can put two network cards in one computer and hook another computer up to this. I have a cable modem connected to the internet from my ISP. I have windows xp on the main computer but only windows ME on the other. Will this work? So far I can only get the main computer on line. Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. onely

onely Thread Starter

hi I did all that but it still says that the local area network is unplugged abd it is not. If I switch the cables it works so its not the network card

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you explain more

Anyway you need to use a crossover cable for ICS

5. austinguy

austinguy

Let me get this straight:

1) You have one computer with two network cards installed
    2) You're using one of the network cards to connect to your cable modem
    3) You want the other network card to connect to another computer
    4) You want to share your Internet connection

If this is your case, not only do you need to set up Internet connection sharing, but you need a crossover cable. You can't just connect a straight-through Ethernet cable from one computer to the other. Go to the following link to see how to create a cross-over cable: http://www.linksys.com/faqs/?fqid=20

You'll need a crimping tool and some RJ45 heads to do this. You can buy them at CompUSA or Fry's Electronics. You can also buy cross-over cables that are pre-made.

If one of your other connection is wireless you need to make sure your wireless adapters on both computers are set to Ad-hoc.

Hope this helps.

6. onely

onely Thread Starter

I have all kinds of cables here, one muxt be a cross over cabel I would think.Where does the crossover cabel go to? if I plug a cable into the second nic card in the computer where do I put it if not in the other computer? thanks

7. onely

onely Thread Starter

ok I Changed cables, now the lights are on , on the second nic, it now says limited or no connection instead of not connected so something has changed with the cable, now what ?

8. austinguy

austinguy

Look at the diagram on the link that I gave you in my previous post. Scroll down a tad and look at the color configuration. A crossover cable looks just like a regular Ethernet cable, you can't distinguish it just by looking at it. You'll either have to make one, or go buy one. Attached is a crude diagram on how you should place the cables.

The only other alternatives are to run out and buy an Ethernet hub or switch for about US$35, or buy a Cable/DSL router which will do everything automatically for you for about US$45. No need to have two Ethernet cards in one computer. If you're to buy a cross-over cable already pre-made, it'll run a ridiculous US$20-25 at CompUSA, Fry's, or Best Buy.

Attached Files:

9. onely

onely Thread Starter

is a cross over cable the same as a patch cable, I connected a patch cable, the lights are working on the nic cards now but now it seems to be an ip problem, do I have to put an ip into the second computer or something?

10. austinguy

austinguy

If you're getting lights on all of your NIC's, then you should be good-to-go. You need to run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard on the computer that has the 2 NIC's now to turn on the DHCP server. Restart the computer with the 2 NIC's after the wizard is finished, then restart your other computer.

PS: A patch cable is just general terminology for short cable. You can have a straight-through patch cable as well as a cross-over patch cable.

11. tekgyrl

tekgyrl

A patch cable can either be a "straight through cable" (ends are wired identically) or a "crossover cable" (the ends are not wired identically).

http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp
    this site will explain further

12. onely

onely Thread Starter

I now have a home network but the second computer will not go on line? I am still missing something. Thank you for your help

13. austinguy

austinguy

Did you go through the Internet Connection Sharing wizard? On the computer with 2 NIC's, Go to Start -> Network Connections. Right click on the connection that is connected to the Internet and click Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. Put a check mark next to "Allow other network users to connect throught his computer's Internet connection". It also has a link underneath that says "Learn more about Internet Connection Sharing." Read through that.

14. onely

onely Thread Starter

I have read things over and over but I still can't get the other computer to go on line.it appears that I did everything correctly but obviously something is not right somewhere.

15. angel

angel

Ok, for now let's assume that everything is physically attached properly.
    On each PC, go to Start>Run and type in 'cmd' - now, at the dos prompt, type 'ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt'
    Open up the file on each PC (c:\ipconfig.txt) and post back with their contents. Be sure to label which PC is which.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice