1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hsriniva, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsriniva

hsriniva Thread Starter

Aright So I recently attempted to create a network between my two Dell computers, both running XP. The two computer are connected to a router which is connected to the DSL Modem. The internet sharing is working fine.

Anyway, I went through the network setup wizard on both machines. And the setup seemed to have gone fine.

However now:
    On Computer A, when I go to My Network Places, View Workgroup computers, it says that the "network is not accessible You might not have permission to use network. Contact Administrator."

On Computer B once I go to View Workgroup computers, I successfully see both computers. However when I double click the Icon for Computer A i get the same message "Network is not accessible You might not have permission etc.

I'm not able to share files nor printers.

I realize this is a common error message as I have seen many ppl talk about this in a lot of tech forums. So I tried doing some of the things that I read:

First I tried Pinging:

Computer A can ping to B but...
    Computer B cannot ping to A

-I read I had to remove all firewalls for this to work. I removed the Windows firewall on both Computer A and Computer B. That did NOT work. It doesnt look like there any other firewalls...unless they're somehow hidden....

I also read that I'd have to check the TCP/IP connections ............but everything seems okay with that:
    IP address are almost exact, Subnet Mask is the same, Node Type is "Hybrid" on Computer A, and "Mixed" on Computer B.

This is the first time I'm setting up a network so I'm really not sure what to do...... Should I try to see if there is another firewall (Is there a better way of trying to find them?) Also, I don't want to run my computers for too long without firewalls on them. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Failure to ping is almost always a firewall issue. You may have some other security application running that has a firewall component. Look on the machine that doesn't respond to pings.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice