1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home Network - Printer Sharing!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GoJoAGoGo, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    I have a Windows XP and Windows ME connected to a D-Link DI-604 router with a DSL connection. I've used the Windows XP "Network Setup Wizard" to configure my "Home Network" and used the "Network Setup Disk" to configure the Windows ME system. My HP printer is connected directly to the Windows XP system and is working. If I try and print with the Windows ME system through the "Home Network", I get an error message that no printer is connected. The Windows ME system has the updated HP printing drivers and will work if I connect the printer directly to it.

Could the D-Link router be preventing the printer from working on the Windows ME system while using the "Home Network"?

Thanks ...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Depending on the specific printer, it may not work over the network. I've run across several printers that I just couldn't get working as a shared printer, it's normally a driver limitation. This is not an issue with the router.

3. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    The printer is a HP DeskJet 932c .

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you shared the printer on the XP machine (if so, its icon in Printers and Faxes will have a "sharing" hand under it)?

Have you connected it on the ME machine (if so, it's icon in ME's equivalent of Printers and Faxes will have a "connected via a" pipe under it)?

5. DBClark

DBClark

I have the exact same printer...so you can rule that out.

I also had the printer working with your configuration with XP and ME, although, I have since installed XP on the second machine. When I did that, didn't have to load any drivers on the system accessing the shared printer.

I'm having a little trouble remembering, but was there any referece at all, or an option, for a network setup when you installed drivers on the ME machine?

6. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    When I installed the HP 932c drivers on the Windows ME there were 2 options of drivers:

Full Feature
    and
    Basic Feature that had a note:
    "This driver is designed for use on computers that will be directly connected to the printer from the computer's parallel port with a parallel cable. Please note this driver has no "Program Group" functionality".

I installed the Full Feature.

7. DBClark

DBClark

Are you having any problems sharing folders on the 2 machines?

Not real sure what to suggest next.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice