1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by simon cook, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simon cook

simon cook Thread Starter

I have two machines linked via a gateway switch. After running the network set on both machine they can then share files. However one of the machines keeps losing its network settings ie the other machine cannot see it in the 'my netwok places' window. If I run the network set up wizard again on the machine that cannot be seen, all is well. The other machine always seems to retain it settings. Any ideas?

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Is the router supplying the clients with their IP info? Try going to a command prompt and typing ipconfig /all. That should bring up your IP info.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

4. Cwolly

Cwolly

What OS are you using on each machine? Try mapping a network drive just to see if it will work before you run network wizard again. If you need help doing this just reply and I'll try to walk you through it.
    -Cwolly

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since mentions the network wizard, I was assuming he had XP. That is why the link with the details about how to network it was given. Hopefully that was a good assumption.

6. Cwolly

Cwolly

yeah good call Bob, I wasn't thinking straight. I've seen shared folders dissapear on wireless networks because the client moves out of the covered zone, but I can't recall seeing this type of behavior on a wired network. I was thinking perhaps he's getting an IP conflict which is causing him to loose the shared folder lists? hmm, not sure. Just brainstorming :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice