1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Home network questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nymetsrock23, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nymetsrock23

nymetsrock23 Thread Starter

Nov 21, 2011
    Ok so I have been doing some research and I'm not sure if it is possiable but I want to set up a home network (obviously) here is the plan I have come up with in my head. I want to know if it will work, we have high speed DSL and our house has LAN cables wired to every room of the house form a location in our basement.

1. Internet comes in the house
    2. Then to Server / modem
    3. Then switch in basement (Where LAN cables go out to house)
    Then here is where I question
    4 a. 2 desktops and a wireless router connected by LAN cables (via centralized LAN cable to switch)
    4 b. A wireless access point on same network in different area of house (via centralized LAN cables)

Basically what I am asking is, is it possible to have a wireless router and wireless access point on the same network so that I could hypothetically walk throughout my whole house while using the internet and not have to switch networks.

Thank you

2. Yakiba

May 1, 2005
    Yes, of course. You will need to connect the WAP to the switch/router. That's it.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1033813